Thread: Pacman frog not eating. :( :( :(

Xxandster700xX

Question Pacman frog not eating. :( :( :(

It's been a week and two days since i first got my Pacman frog. The pet store was feeding him 1 pinkie mouse a week and for 3 days now I've tried to feed him a calcium coated night crawler(One that i cut a piece off.) but he just isn't eating it. I have him in a large critter cage(Actually a cricket cage but barely different.). The temps rotate around 75"F. I mist his tank daily with dechlorinated water. I check his water bowl daily for maintenance(Refill, Clean, ETC) and clean it every Monday no mater what. The only thing that i can think is causing him to not eat is his day and night cycles, I haven't been able to get a ceramic heat emitter or a red night light yet so I've had to keep the light running 24/7 I've done what i can to make it dark in his tank while it's night. Other than that i really don't know what is up with him. Would it be ok to feed a pinkie to him if i dust it in calcium? Ill p[ost some pics in the description. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Name:  IMG_2397[1].jpg
Views: 322
Size:  69.6 KBName:  IMG_2447[1].jpg
Views: 281
Size:  83.9 KBName:  IMG_2448[1].jpg
Views: 269
Size:  50.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

Daytime temps need to be between 80 and 84 degrees. Having it at 75 all the time is probably causing the frogs metabolism to slow, causing reduced appetite.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Xxandster700xX

Default Re: Pacman frog not eating. :( :( :(

Alright I'll see what I can do to get the temp up. I also noticed today that there was a bump by his but. I's that the pinkie mice that the pet store fed him or something like that?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman frog not eating. :( :( :(

Can you cover three sides of the kritter-keeper he's in with something opaque? Even with the stickers, the clear sides make it seem to him that he's in the larger tank anyway and the extra space may be stressing him a bit.

There's no way to really tell what the bump you're talking about is without a closeup picture of it. I can't really tell how big he is from the pics you put up, but he looks to small to be eating pinky mice.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Xxandster700xX

Default My pacman frog hasent ate in 2 weeks

It's been 2 weeks since I have got my pacman frog. The pet store was feeding him 1 pinkie mice a week even though he wasent the proper size. I've tried feeding him night crawlers dusted with calcium. I'll post dimensions, temps and some pics in a bit.

Xxandster700xX

Question Re: My pacman frog hasent ate in 2 weeks

Dimensions:
    -Frog: 1.5"

-Tank: 11.5"(Wide) 7"(Tall) 7.5"(Deep)

Temps:

-Temp: Around 85 Degrees F

-Humidity: Rotates around 80%

I mist the tank about 3-5 times a day. The water i use is dechlorinated and is treated for metal.

Name:  IMG_2689[1].jpg
Views: 374
Size:  82.2 KBName:  IMG_2690[1].jpg
Views: 309
Size:  67.9 KB
    I really need some help with this.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My pacman frog hasent ate in 2 weeks

85 degrees is a bit too hot, especially for such a young one. Daytime temps should get no higher than 82, and night temps should be 75-80.

What do you mean when you say dechlorinated and treated for metals? I'm not aware of any water treatments they sell that work on metals. Are you using a water treatment like Prime or something?
    Also, maybe get a smaller water dish so that it doesn't take up most of his enclosure.

Try crickets. Many frogs won't take nightcrawlers at first if they aren't used to them. Or you can try to rub the nightcrawlers against his face. Sometimes that'll convince them to take one.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

9. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Xxandster700xX

By treated for metal i mean purified. I also use a water cleanser called biotize. I dont really have a smaller water dish around, would it be ok if i found something around my house like a lid?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes you can use anything that will hold water. Rinse it real good with Hot tap water to ensure there are not chemicals on it. Cool it down some and add the water. You can use Dog and cat bowls small tupperware containers. So long as he/she can get in and out of them easily and the water is shallow enough for him to soak in but not drown in. Others here will have far better advise than mine.

Best of luck to you.

12. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Manwell

Could he be stressed because he doesn't have any coverage in his tank? He may feel vulnerable and over exposed?

DesertHeat

I'll second the suggestion to try crickets. One of mine out right refuses worms, he just doesn't like them I guess. But he loves crickets and dubias, he'll come out of his burrow and chase them all over the enclosure.

It also looks like he could use a little more substrate in the tank. A couple inches, enough that he can bury himself if he wants to, will go a long way to helping him feel secure.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Xxandster700xX

I may be able to get some crickets in a couple of days. When I get them should I try to feed them to him daily?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Xxandster700xX View Post
    I may be able to get some crickets in a couple of days. When I get them should I try to feed them to him daily?
    I would for a while.

Xxandster700xX

I NEED SOME HELP. I have been sitting here trying to force feed my pacman frog a cricket for 2 hours straight! This thing is such a pain! Can someone please help me on how i can feed him?

Hypnotic

And Xandster, don't force feed, wiggle the prey gently from left to right underneath his top lip. Don't force it, eventually near all pacmans get so annoyed, that they start biting.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry your frog is not doing well . Sadly in this case, you received bad care information from store and they where not feeding it correctly: http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...an-frog-2.html. Things to do right now are to provide frog with a stressful free enclosure with proper heat and humidity parameters. Also need to get frog feeding and monitor it's pooping. I've already linked a good care article on your previous thread and Dan gave you good information too. Lastly; I've moved out of this thread all discussion related to another member's frog to prevent any possible confusion since the two cases are different and merged your two similar issue thread discussion together. Hopefully we can help your frog better now .

An albino can't have any daylight in his enclosure. Did you correct that? As previously stated; babies should be kept at 82F and 70-80% humidity. The shredded coco substrate should be mixed with dechlorinated tap water (bottled water can be over-filtered for humans use and that is not good for frogs) until it's slightly damp and clumps in fist but does not drip water out. You can use same water type for frog's bath and misting. Best water dishes for babies are those that have built in ramps. Myself would add a small silk type plant or foliage to help provide frog some cover.

Force feeding a frog is very stressful to them and only to be used on a visibly emaciated animal. Be very gentle when handling frog (wash hands and rinse with dechlorinated tap) and give it a bath as follows prior to feeding next few days. Mix 90% 80F dechlorinated tap with 10% unflavored Pedialyte or similar baby electrolyte solution. You can give bath in a very small critter keeper or a plastic cup with holed up top filled with solution to frog's chin depth for around 20 minutes. Then release frog back into enclosure and offer some food. Do this around 30 minutes after sunset; Pacmans are nocturnal.

Crickets or other insects should be sized same a distance between frog's eyes. Gut load insects with fresh veggies (carrots and lettuce) and cereals (oats and cherios) 24-48 hours before use. The electrolyte bath should perk frog up and the insects movement will help attract the frog to eat. Once you get frog eating you can use this information to start it on supplements: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Good luck and please let us know how this goes !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

20. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman frog not eating. :( :( :(

Carlos has given you some great advice.

I think if you can get the temps proper, keep the humidity good, get a smaller water bowl, add a cave or smooth/safe plant to hide under, darker your tank sides to a nice green or brown, keep him in a nice quiet, low traffic area, and let him adjust with less stress, he should start eating. I would even add a bit more substrate so he can burrow up to his eyes. Then he can relax .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information