Thread: Finding the Oak Toad (Bufo quercicus)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Finding the Oak Toad (Bufo quercicus)

Does anyone know where you can find Oak Toads for sale? Out of all the searching I've done I've found 3 sites that list them but have none in-stock, they're also sites that don't have great reviews.

After Gail(kueluck) suggested them to me in a previous thread I made, I initially wasn't very interested in them but since then I've dug up as much readily available info as I can find. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much info out there on these little guys. Regardless I've become really interested in the Oak Toad, if I can I'd like to get my hands on a couple.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Finding the Oak Toad (Bufo quercicus)

You don't mention what three sites you tried so I may be giving you some redundancy here but have you tried Welcome to Exotic Oddities He seems to have them available most of the time. He's in Florida. I've never done business with him so I can't help you there but I do check his web site from time to time. Oak toads do seem like cool little fellas!

4. This member thanks Malduroque for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Malduroque View Post
    You don't mention what three sites you tried so I may be giving you some redundancy here but have you tried Welcome to Exotic Oddities He seems to have them available most of the time. He's in Florida. I've never done business with him so I can't help you there but I do check his web site from time to time. Oak toads do seem like cool little fellas!
    Thank you! I knew I had seen that site before, didn't show in all those Google searches I did . The other three sites were all flipper sites, they never actually handle the animals you buy. Where as Exotic Oddities seems to be field collecting and then shipping by order.

That $100 minimum though, damn. Looks like I better plan on having a large group of them.

Nationality
    [United States]

During late spring and early summer you'll see more of them available. I'm lucky to have them right here in my state of NC.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    During late spring and early summer you'll see more of them available. I'm lucky to have them right here in my state of NC.
    I was thinking that might be the case, right around breeding time.

If I were to order through Exotic Oddities, to meet the minimum I would have to order 10 Oak Toads. Do you think I would be able to keep them together if I have something big enough, also what would be big enough for a group that large? Or would it be better to split them into smaller groups?

Nationality
    [United States]

You could put 10 together with enough space and enough hiding places and diligent maintenance. For that though I'd go with a 75 gallon. If you got two 40 gallon breeder tanks you could split them up into two groups of 5. If you went with 20 gallon longs I would put no more than three in each. Err on the side of more space, not squeezing them in.

When you get them please post pics of the little guys and tell of your experience with Exotic Oddities. I'm curious about both.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with the tank sizes on this post. And once the sex is determined you can divide them up accordingly then. You don't want to have several males bombarding one female. But then having one big tank with 10 toads would be fun to watch during feeding time.
    You could put 10 together with enough space and enough hiding places and diligent maintenance. For that though I'd go with a 75 gallon. If you got two 40 gallon breeder tanks you could split them up into two groups of 5. If you went with 20 gallon longs I would put no more than three in each. Err on the side of more space, not squeezing them in.

When you get them please post pics of the little guys and tell of your experience with Exotic Oddities. I'm curious about both.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright that gives me some sizes to work with, thank you!

I will definitely take pictures and post them, I really need to put some money towards a decent camera someday. I'll write up a review when I order from him.

I agree with the tank sizes on this post. And once the sex is determined you can divide them up accordingly then. You don't want to have several males bombarding one female. But then having one big tank with 10 toads would be fun to watch during feeding time.
    Ideally I'd like to keep them all in one large enclosure, or at least attempt it and adjust as needed. From what I've read they are fairly easy to sex, so perhaps I may be able to order by sex. If this does turn out to be the case (I'll have to email him to check) what would be a proper mix of male to female?

For the enclosure I'm thinking about using plastic totes instead of buying a large heavy glass tank. This is the tote I'm planning on using Sterilite ClearView Latch Box 110qt, it's dimensions are 34"L x 18"W x 12"H. Clearly this wont due for all 10 so I'm thinking I'll buy 2 and splice them together I could even make it larger using acrylic sheets if I so desired. But I think 2 of these spliced together should give them plenty of room. There is 2 ways I can go about this, I can make it longer or wider, which do you think would make for happier toads?

• Dimensions if I made it longer: 69"L x 18"W x 12"H
    • Dimensions if I made it wider: 37"L x 34"W x 12"H

What do you think?

Nationality
    [United States]

I would go higher than that since once you add substrate and decor they'll climb out unless you plan on putting some kind of wire lid on this. I would recommend a 3 (male) to 7 (female) ratio on this kind of set up.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would go higher than that since once you add substrate and decor they'll climb out unless you plan on putting some kind of wire lid on this. I would recommend a 3 (male) to 7 (female) ratio on this kind of set up.
    There will be a lid over the whole thing, there are cats in the house so it's would be necessary regardless of height.

Nationality
    [United States]

If there's a solid like, just make sure you have enough ventilation then. B quercicus

Nationality
    [United States]

I should explain things better. I'll be using the same hard plastic lids that come with the totes but I'll put holes in them covered with aluminium wire.

What do you think about using bio active soil with them? I'd like to have something that can maintain itself for the most part. I've also had the though of adding a shallow water area with a filter.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you're looking to do a planted tank for them, take in to consideration that they WILL dig up your plants. I have a few and sure enough, they dig them up at least once a week. Also you'll need to layer your base. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that's bee going for two year now. It's layered as such. 2 inch hydroball, then a piece of screening material, then a layer of activated charcoal, then a piece of screening material, then about 4 inch of a mixture of eco earth and organic soil. There are a few spots of live moss they pretty much leave that along since I've got several pieces of cork bark for them to hide in and under. Every 6 months I take out the cork bark and decor and turn the soil just to make sure all is well in the viv. I also have spring tails and pill bugs to help maintain it. This is why I mentioned about going taller.

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, I'm looking into another option that is taller, somewhere between 18"-20" tall instead of 12".

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, I sent an email to John at Exotic Oddities last Friday, unfortunately I have not heard anything back. I'll try again this Monday, hopefully he replies if not I'll have to continue my search of finding a seller.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sure in a few months you'll be able to find them, just gotta hang on.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have seen the for sale here. Not sure if you have found them yet, but if not I hope this link helps out: Toads for Sale
    Best Wishes; MsBlueRose

Nationality
    [United States]

I've read some pretty bad reviews on that place. I would look elsewhere and then check out the review on the place.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I had no idea that place had bad reviews, sorry... Any luck on finding your Oak Toads yet? It seems I have accidentaly run across one of them my self. I rescued a toad ove the summer that had been torn up by crayfish (his back leg). He had a pretty bad infection and the skin and muscle was just hanging off his little leg. Well, I got him back to full health, but the muscle damage to his leg is very apparent. The skin grew back, but the muscle, of course, did not. So I kept him. And I am glad I did. I was trying to find out what kind of toad he was for the longest time, and he did not fit the toads I find here in Missouri, not to mention he is TINY and is not growing despite the fact that he is a well fed little piggy! It turns out that my step-son brought him back from Florida and put him in his mothers fish pond where he was trapped with little land and crayfish. Only after thinking about it for a while did I realize that this is where the toad had come from, so I asked him and sure enough he finally admitted he had snuck him back home. My little toad is so cute! Thuogh I am not pleased with my step-son for bringing him back. I don't believe he would have made it through ou cold winters up here.

Thread Information