Thread: Newly Adopted Pacman refuses to eat

JennieLove

Default Newly Adopted Pacman refuses to eat

1. Size of enclosure 20gal
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 1
    3. Humidity 85
    4. Temperature 75-85 Day / 65 night
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish Treated Tap (API tap water conditioner)
    6. Materials used for substrateZoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials Fake Plants and a large cork round
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. Yes, other than adding a Fogger and wrapping lid to keep humidity and heat in
    8. Main food source Before adopting was told he was only fed on mice. He has since only eaten 1 dubia roach. I was informed he was a great eater.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) Dusted Pure Calcium every food offering since he hasn't wanted to eat anything
    10. Lighting Yes, on aprox 8-10hrs per day
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure Hydrotherm, Large heat mat placed along the back of the tank about an inch above substrate, mini heat mat in far back corner of tank under substrate (previous owners had kept him with heat under tank and I didn't want to shock him completely, so kept a very small portion heated underneath which he seems to stay close too)
    12. When is the last time he/she ate 12/20/13
    13. Have you found poop lately I have not seen him poop since bringing him home, after soaking him I have seen him pee
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  64.9 KBName:  IMG_0683.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  117.0 KBName:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  94.9 KB
    15. How old is the frog I was only told the previous owner had him 7 months and that he has doubled in size
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    12/13/13
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred Captive
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats He had been fed mice, all I was told.
    19. How often the frog is handled He was handled frequently
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area Lower
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) Water dish has been changed twice a week since

I have been trying to coax him to eat everyday for about 15 mins-20mins with no luck. I can see he gets excited about it but then doesn't attempt to eat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1. That enclosure might be a little too big if your frog is a male. Be sure to cover three sides to reduce stress.
    2. Open up the ventilation a little more. Try and shoot for 80 percent humidity. Too high humidity can result in respitory infection.
    4.day time temps need to be 82-84 degrees and night time temps should be 77-78 degrees.
    8. Nightcrawlers should be main staple food or properly gut loaded insects. Mice are only a treat food and should be given once a month max.
    9. Calcium with d3 twice a week and vitamin dust once a week. Skip a day in between vitamin days and calcium days.
    10. Thats a good light cycle. Make sure your lights DO NOT HAVE UVB/UVA.
    11. Hygrotherms are awesome. Remove that heat pad thats under the tank. These frogs burrow to cool off.
    18. I would recommend no mice for a very long time. Mice are crazy high in fat. The fat will eventually form around the frogs vital organs and eyes and eventually kill the frog.
    19. Never handle the frog. The frogs skin is so sensitive that it will absorb whatever's on your hands. Plus it will overstress your frog which can also lead to other health issues.
    21. Enclosure cleanings should be once a month. Water dish needs to be changed daily even if the frog didn't use it.

You have come to the right place about your frog. Please make the corrections I've listed, and then we can work on feeding tips. You will need to give your frog a few days to adjust to its new surroundings before it will eat. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you can.

DesertHeat

I wouldn't say "never" handle the frog... :P

Just don't handle them more than necessary, i.e. tank cleanings, baths, etc. When you do handle them make sure your hands are clean and pre-moistened with dechlorinated water

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Default Re: Newly Adopted Pacman refuses to eat

Quote Originally Posted by DesertHeat View Post
    I wouldn't say "never" handle the frog... :P

Just don't handle them more than necessary, i.e. tank cleanings, baths, etc. When you do handle them make sure your hands are clean and pre-moistened with dechlorinated water

Yeah I ment to put that in there. DesertHeat is correct. Minimize handling as much as possible.

DesertHeat

With the dubias are you attempting to tong feed or just letting them walk around? I've got one little guy who's stubborn as hell about taking from tongs and will refuse for days on end, but if I just put it in the enclosure he'll pounce on it in about 10 seconds

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Newly Adopted Pacman refuses to eat

Hi Jennie! Pacman's get stressed out in large enclosures; did frog came with the large tank? What is your frog's length from snout to vent (SVL)? A 10 gal. tank, or even smaller, might be a better home for it. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

JennieLove

He was kept in a 20 gallon tank before I took him.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thread Information