Thread: Light and heat?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Light and heat?

I am doing lots of research trying to figure out how to get my new buddy's tank situated.Because I am having trouble keeping temps up, I was considering trying a red light or a ceramic heat emitter bulb, but it says that neither throw off a lot of light. Do I also need another lamp to throw off light during the day? Or is the lamp more for the heat than the light?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is what I used. Worked well. Just make sure your lamps have dimmer switches.

Went out an got an 18x18x12 exo terra for my frog Mojo yesterday. Here us my set up.

For lighting/heating I'm using a 40 watt energy saving white lighbulb for my day heat and day cycle. Its attatched to a dimmer and a timer. For additional heating I have a 40 watt red incandescent bulb attached to a hygrotherm. With the hygrotherm the red bulb turns on and off as needed to maintain proper heating of 82-84 degrees for day and 77-78 degrees at night. I have my shade areas under my day time lights.

For humidity I'm using a reptifogger which is also attached to the hygrotherm. It maintains a 75-80 percent himidity at all times. For the top of the enclose I'm using two cut pieces of plexiglass taped with duck tape. One has vent holes drilled in it. I'm not currently liking the plexiglass. Going to switch it out with something else.

For my decorations I have a vine shruby thing that is suction cupped to the side and is kinda on top of a little tree log. Then a little farther to the left another plant. This way Mojo has plenty of places to hide. His water dish is one of the in the ground water dishes.

I know I'm supposed to cover three sides of the tank with a cover. The pet store that has them here was closed. I will be getting another jungle cover this morning for the third side.

Now here is the wierd/good thing. I fed Mojo his pinky rat two nights ago (pet store was out of pinky mice). As soon as I put Mojo in his new home, I dropped some vitamin coated crickets in the enclosure and he started scooping them up. Guess he likes his new home! Here are some pics.

4. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Light and heat?

Thanks! Think you forgot to attach the pictures though. I'd like to see them! What exactly is the reptifogger? And do I need to get a new lamp with a hygrotherm attached, or does it just attach to what I have? So far just misting with a spray bottle. I know it says to only do it once or twice a day. But I can't keep humidity up for more than 20-30 minutes after I spritz. Filled a little more water in his bowl and added foil over the screen that seems to help a little bit. This was a total surprise gift, so I was not at all prepared! Have always wanted a Pacman, but hadn't planned on actually having one!

I personally like tin foil with the light holes cut out. You dont have to worry about plastic melting and putting off harmful chemicals.

Thread Information