Thread: Water edema?

Casey Ladyface Clark

Default Water edema?

I just received my second beautiful ornate horned frog for Christmas, he/she is albino and spunky, but has what looks like a hunchback and when you touch this bulge feels like its filled with air, I'm very concerned with this and since a frog doctor is unavailable (being Christmas time and all) I appeal to you. Is there a treatment for whatever this is?? Is it too far gone already? The lump is the size of its back and ive soaked it in warm water but I'm hesitant to do too much so I won't stress it I have pics here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Casey Ladyface Clark

Default Re: Water edema?

Casey Ladyface Clark

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  64.6 KB

Casey Ladyface Clark

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Nationality
    [United States]

The soaking should help if the oedema is from any sort of toxicity. Which could have easily occurred from where it was shipped, during shipping, or where you purchased it. Soaking in spring water can also yield results. Bloated african clawed frogs can recover well with a soak in epsom salt. I would try soaking in spring water with epsom salt for a week or so to see if symptoms improve. Make sure the water is "frog warm" and try soaking for 30 minutes daily. A word of caution though, an oedema can also be a symptom of kidney failure, which unfortunately, there is no cure. Only time will tell, but I wish the best of luck to your pac man.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Need better more clear pictures.

This is not an Ornate. It is an Albino cranwelli. Edema is actually a fluid buildup not bloating caused by air. Bloating from air can be gases from bacteri or parasite infections. Please note that when annoyed or feeling threatened they puff themselves up with air to look bigger.

Get some better pictures up and give some more information on how the frog was housed before you bought it.

Also answer these questions http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html repost your answers here in your thread.

Casey Ladyface Clark

The frog was at petco kept on moist coco fiber with a water dish that I doubt it could crawl into, the bubble gets bigger when it's provoked but is always there, I got him earlier today so not much that I've observed has been a relaxed frog I have a better picture as far as the salt goes how much should I add to a bath?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  45.2 KB

Casey Ladyface Clark

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmmm......what did they offer for food at Petco? Does their feel like there is a hard lump on the frog's right side?

Casey Ladyface Clark

No hard lumps but it was fed a cricket diet

Nationality
    [United States]

Whoa!! I see what you are talking about now. That is either bacterial or Dropsy. Either way you need a vet.

In the mean time leave it in the enclosure on the substrate. Make sure there are no sharp objects that the frog could possibly open that bubble on. If the bubble does pop immediately place the frog on Paper towels as a substrate very moist with dechlorinated water. Change paper towels daily and clean enclosure.

Thread Information