Thread: Gray tree frog with back leg injury??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Gray tree frog with back leg injury??

I don't know what's going on with my frogs lately but I'm having all sorts of problems :-(
    Several days ago I noticed my male gray tree frog was dangling his back leg when he was hanging off the side of a suspended log. At the time I thought it was simply because of where he was perched, so I kept an eye on him. Unfortunately he's continued to dangle that leg no matter where he's sitting and is not using it at all when he climbs or hops.
    I've absolutely no idea what happened or how he injured himself.
    On close inspection of the leg there seems to be no scratches, cuts, abrasions or any type of superficial injury at all to the skin.
    There doesn't appear to be any rebness, bruising or discoloration, nor any obvious swelling or disfigurement. The leg outwardly looks fine other than the fact he will not use it.
    I took him out of the main tank and put him in the isolation tank with the frog who has the eye problem(its not contagious). I set that 10gal minimally, so neither could/would sustain any futher injuries.
    I'm at a total loss with this one : (
    Over the summer I brought a toad in that had been living on our deck for several months and was inadvertently stepped on. Its front leg was injured, so I took him in to care for him, I felt guilty and responsible for what happened. He didn't use that leg for months and would hold it up even propping it up on things. He wouldn't put it down to hop or even when sitting and wouldn't climb at all. After several months had passed with no change I went in to checked on him, as i always do several times daily, and found him sitting on top of one of his hiding spots. I took him out and nudged him to hop and he was using the leg....finally! He's fine now.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice, besides the route I took with the toad (time and limited activity)?
    His appetite is just fine and he does move around despite his injury, I've got several frogs missing a back leg who all get around just fine.
    I am concerned he may have some considerable pain, I'm assuming this from the way he's behaving in reguards to his leg. (ie.the way he's letting it dangle straight down and dragging it behind him
    I'm having problems posting pictures and videos, but I'll try again later.
    I appreciate and advice or suggestions. If anyone has and idea and or instructions, information or links, on how to manage frggy pain please by all means let me know.
    Thanks again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Gray tree frog with back leg injury??

Update: I just went in to hand feed the injured frog and his hip /thigh is really swollen....see pics
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6372Name:  20131221_193913.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  128.1 KB1[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He needs a vet.
    It may be some kind of infection or parasite. An Xray might shed some light on the issue.

Nationality
    [United States]

well I believe pinpointed what happened....last week when I was feeding the frogs the lid came down and there was a frog on the edge of the tank. I think it might have been this frog, boy do I feel terrible, so I don't believe its infection or parasitic in nature.
    I still like to know if anybody has any suggestions on pain management for him I'd like to try to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry; but if the lid came down on the frog's leg and damaged it, then a week later it is swelling, natural healing is not going the right way . Agree with Louis, your frog needs to see a veterinary for possible broken bones (x-ray), fixing it, and strong antibiotics (infection). Can locate Herp veterinary here: Arav and/or Herp Vet Connection. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks... I'm taking him to the vet

Thread Information