Thread: Information on Care of Whites Tree Frogs?

Thumbs up Information on Care of Whites Tree Frogs?

Okay, I have just begun my research into these lovely creatures so I have a lot of questions! 1.) Would a appox. 30 gallon tank be appropriate for 2/3 of these lovelies? The dimensions are 30x12x18. 2.) What is the best substrate to use and how deep should it be? 3.) What food is the best and what supplements are needed? How often/how much? 4.) Any pictures of you setups would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Information on Care of Whites Tree Frogs?

Anyone?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Information on Care of Whites Tree Frogs?

1.) 30 gallons would definitely be enough for two. I dont't think that three would be that comfortable in there though 2.) the best substrate is cocunut fiber/Eco earth which should be 1-3 inches, enough to maintain humidity. If you use a reptifogger or other misting system then you should a layer of hydroballs at the bottom with to separate them from the Eco earth. This is to prevent the tank from becoming water logged. 3.) crickets and/or dubia roaches should be your frogs main food. Remember to add variety to their diet or the frog may actually get bored. Try to avoid mealworms as their shell is hard to digest. Go easy on the waxworms as they are full of fat and some of my other species actually got addicted to them and would refuse all other food. You should dust with a calcium/vitamin d3 supplement every other feeding and a multivitamin once a week. For frogs up to one inch every day. Up to two inches every othe day and more than two inches three times a week you should be feeding them. Offer them no more than five crickets each feeding. I'll try and get a pic of my tank as soon as I figure out how to post it. Hope this helps

Thank you so much!

Nationality
    [United States]

If interested in keeping White's; first thing to do is read this article: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea. White's are large (3-4 in.) tree frogs and a 30G regular tank is probably not going to provide the height needed for them to climb up and feel safe. A 33 gal. ExoTerra (18x18x24) is a much better choice. Happy Holidays !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ah thank you! I wasn't sure I already had the 30 was the prime reason I was lookin at it, but if I decide to get them ill look t the tank you suggested instead!

Stardust369

Question:
    I feed my white's mostly crickets and also worms (but he isn't a big fan of them). I was at my local reptile store the other day (Scales N' Tails) and they suggested feeding dubia roaches.. I've never heard of this before but according to some of you these are good feeders for a white's? My boy is still pretty small, would the roaches be too large for him to eat? And if I keep them in a glass bowl (which I do for crickets) will they be able to crawl out of it?

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust369 View Post
    Question:
    I feed my white's mostly crickets and also worms (but he isn't a big fan of them). I was at my local reptile store the other day (Scales N' Tails) and they suggested feeding dubia roaches.. I've never heard of this before but according to some of you these are good feeders for a white's? My boy is still pretty small, would the roaches be too large for him to eat? And if I keep them in a glass bowl (which I do for crickets) will they be able to crawl out of it?

Thanks!
    Sorry missed your question ! You can feed smaller Dubias that are the same as distance between frog's eyes.

Dubias will not crawl out of a glass bowl. They won't even climb walls of smooth plastic container used for breeding them .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Stardust369

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Sorry missed your question ! You can feed smaller Dubias that are the same as distance between frog's eyes.

Dubias will not crawl out of a glass bowl. They won't even climb walls of smooth plastic container used for breeding them .
    Thank you! I've been feeding dubias for almost a year now and he loves them! Haven't had any problems so far. (:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Since you asked for pictures, here's my tank.Name:  elly-albums-elly-white-s-picture75700-frog2-009.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  93.1 KB
    I have an 18x18x 24 exo terra. The background came with the tank. Planting a tank is optional, but it's good for white's to have places to climb, a stick or something. You can't tell, but there's a drainage layer underneath the dirt. The leaves are put down to keep the frogs from eating the chunks of bark and charcol in the substrate. (I have ABG mix, you probably won't have that problem with ground coconut shell.)

Edit: You can find more White's vivs in the 'pictures' section

Thread Information