Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New little addition

foofighter

Default New little addition

Hi all, got this little guy from a show he is from a very reliable source and I was sold it as a C. stolzmanni just wondered is any one could help confer mot or has any pictures of one. Also picked up a C. aurita from the same guy had to get them as I be never see or heard of them for sale over here. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

michael1846

Default Re: New little addition

Wow he's awsome! I like the dark green. Congrats ~michael

foofighter

Thanks Michael he is an awesome colour.

Nationality
    [United States]

Not gonna say I'm jealous, but I may be a tad jealous. Very nice frog you got there!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes that is a Stolzmani(Pacific Horned Frog). Very nice one too. They don't get very big. Max for females is about 3" and 2.5" for males.

Nationality
    [United States]

Congrats on your new frogs ! Did you the C. stolzmanni from Understory?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Beautiful color!!
    20 Leopard Geckos; 1 High Red Ornata Pac Man Frog; 1 Sulcata Tortoise; 1 Bearded Dragon; 1 Mini Dachshund
    www.gulfcoastgeckos.com

michael1846

Your welcome he has an awesome skin. ~michael

foofighter

Thanks for all the nice messages I come on here often but don't post much. Thanks for clarification Griff I know they stay small going to be like having a constant frogling. Not seen one before I be heard they are being bred but over here we're so far behind with the morphs and species. It's not an understory frog he's bred in Germany got him fro Hamm show only took 12 hours of driving to get there and 12 hours back. Well worth it for him and an Aurita as well.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by foofighter View Post
    Thanks for all the nice messages I come on here often but don't post much. Thanks for clarification Griff I know they stay small going to be like having a constant frogling. Not seen one before I be heard they are being bred but over here we're so far behind with the morphs and species. It's not an understory frog he's bred in Germany got him fro Hamm show only took 12 hours of driving to get there and 12 hours back. Well worth it for him and an Aurita as well.
    Post some pics of your aurita too. I can clarify its species as well. Sometimes they get mixed up with C. joazeirensis.

foofighter

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Post some pics of your aurita too. I can clarify its species as well. Sometimes they get mixed up with C. joazeirensis.
    Hope it is aurita don't mode the other though I was really after a cornuta been after one for about a year now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]

Both are correct species.

foofighter

Both are correct species.
    Thanks Grif I thought they both were but it's good to get expert help. Was wondering of you knew the size the aurita could get to, I know there's a lot of speculation about it. I ve got an ornate and she's pretty big just wondering if it could get bigger or around the same size.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Grif I thought they both were but it's good to get expert help. Was wondering of you knew the size the aurita could get to, I know there's a lot of speculation about it. I ve got an ornate and she's pretty big just wondering if it could get bigger or around the same size.
    There are 5 subspecies of aurita. One is the Giant, but the other 4 are smaller. Nearly all that are found for sale are the smaller subspecies only reaching 4" to 6" SVL. I've never seen the Giant aurita for sale, but that doesn't mean they can't be around. I have 2 aurita and they are not giant.

Nationality
    [United States]

...Not seen one before I be heard they are being bred but over here we're so far behind with the morphs and species. It's not an understory frog he's bred in Germany got him fro Hamm show only took 12 hours of driving to get there and 12 hours back. Well worth it for him and an Aurita as well.
    That is one long drive to shop for frogs! Glad it was worth it and you got the correct species. Happy holidays and enjoy your frogs !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

foofighter

There are 5 subspecies of aurita. One is the Giant, but the other 4 are smaller. Nearly all that are found for sale are the smaller subspecies only reaching 4" to 6" SVL. I've never seen the Giant aurita for sale, but that doesn't mean they can't be around. I have 2 aurita and they are not giant.
    Wow I never knew that can you tell what subspecies they are by looking at them. Do you get different subspecies of the other species of horned frog as well.

foofighter

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    That is one long drive to shop for frogs! Glad it was worth it and you got the correct species. Happy holidays and enjoy your frogs !
    Yeah it is a long way I go with other reptile loving friends and we have a bit of a holiday. Been into reptiles and phibs for nearly 20 years so i don't mind going to look at the new trends and species there's always something cool to look at. Reptile shows here rarely get above 30 tables but in Germany that fairs about 400. Have a great Christmas.

19. This member thanks foofighter for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow I never knew that can you tell what subspecies they are by looking at them. Do you get different subspecies of the other species of horned frog as well.
    There is so much color variation in each subspecies it is nearly impossible to tell them apart. There are not really any subspecies per say of the other Horned Frogs. Cranwelli have two variations in the wild Green and Brown. The Green cranwelli are from the wetter regions of the Grand Chaco and the Brown from dryer areas. All the color morphs of C. cranwelli you find are from years of line breeding and some are not even natural like the Samurai Blue, but interesting nonetheless.

Ornata have a few color variations in the wild, but theirs doesn't depend on the dry or wet conditions. They are mostly found in wet forests and flooded grasslands of Agentina. Wild caught specimens look completely different than CB. Ornata only have a few morphs and most are due to line breeding like the solid dark red morph. No subspecies thty I know of.

The other species have even less variation and no known subspecies. At least not to me. C. cornuta has 4 color morphs that can occur naturally. Green, Brown, Purple, and Orange.

There are some SubCeratophrys species like Chacophrys peirottii also known as the Chacoan Burrowing Frog. Interesting fact about this frog is that unlike the Horned Frogs it burrows head first.

foofighter

I find all of this kind of stuff really interesting int the reason I went to uni and did a zoology degree. Where have you found out about it all on the internet or is there some books that go into it I be read all the usually books on horned frogs. Also find the behaviour of the different species interesting but I guess that also depends on the individual frog. I am sure I read a post by you some time ago about feeding response in aurita being strong like in ornate. Mines eating fine but prefers to stay out of sight a lot

Nationality
    [United States]

I find all of this kind of stuff really interesting int the reason I went to uni and did a zoology degree. Where have you found out about it all on the internet or is there some books that go into it I be read all the usually books on horned frogs. Also find the behaviour of the different species interesting but I guess that also depends on the individual frog. I am sure I read a post by you some time ago about feeding response in aurita being strong like in ornate. Mines eating fine but prefers to stay out of sight a lot
    I forgot to mention that there is a Stolzmanni subspecies - the Stolzmanni Scaphiopeza, which was recognized by Peters in. 1967. There is ver little information on them as this is one of the least studdied species. From my understanding, the main difference is location with one being in a green "tropical scrub" area of Ecuador and the other being in a drier, sandy area of Peru. It is logical to presume that the green stolzmanni comefrom the wetter area and the brown from the drier area (similar to the Cranwelli), but I have no scientific proof of that.

I get some information from books, some from other people in the hobby, and a lot from scientific articles. Overall though, there is a frustrating lack of research on these amazing frogs. Articles often conclude with "needs more research" or "information not validated." :-(

This is one of many reasons I enjoy watching the species first hand. I now have 5 of the 8 species. Someday I hope to have all of them. I find it fascinating to note differences in behavior and physical form. Although you can make general stereotypes about each species, I find that individual personality tends to trump those.

Best of luck with your new additions! Be sure to keep us updated and share lots of pictures!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information