Thread: Prepared/Powdered Pacman Food... For thought

ICEMAN

Default Prepared/Powdered Pacman Food... For thought

Hello all,
    i visited my local Petshop today and came across a couple brands of powdered pacman food. One made by ZooMed and the other by Samurai. I decided to do some research to see if it was worth a shot. I found some vids on YouTube and the frogs seem to go nuts for it. The ingredients are kind of shady though... The first was fish meal which seemed okay. The next few were either soy/corn/wheat products which I wasn't sure about. From my understanding, those are to help the food maintain its shape. Obviously pacs aren't going to have any of those in their natural diet, so I wanted to know, what's the general consensus on this stuff? Thumbs up or down? Thanks for the info!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Prepared/Powdered Pacman Food... For thought

I was skeptical of it at first about the pacman food at first. As soon as you see Corn or wheat products in your food, that should be a big red flag. I think that the frogs should be able to repeat their natural behavior and let the food be stalked instead of shoveling into the frog's mouth. This is just my opinion but be aware of the ingredients in Food like that for reptiles and Phibs.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

A lot of frogs detest the zoomed food and will spit it out. As for the samurai food, they claim its a complete and total diet but I would use it more as an every once in a while treat for more variety.

Nationality
    [United States]

I use it as a variety in my pacs diet my younger pacs won't touch it I have the zoomed brand

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Owner of a Sun Kissed, Samurai Super Apricot Produced by Mike Matson and a Reduced Pattern C. Cranwelli

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

I haven't tried prepared food before and frankly I don't plan on trying it. From what I've heard in a lot of cases, the frogs hate the stuff and spit it out. Besides, it's better for the frogs nutritionally and provides more roughage if you just feed them whole prey items instead of what kinda seems to be dough with fish meal in it. I wholeheartedly agree with what Ryan said as well-the frogs should be allowed to do their natural feeding behavior instead of basically being force-fed stuff they apparently won't even like. That's my two cents and I hope it helps!
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

Nationality
    [United States]

I also have the zoomed brand and I have the same problem my younger pacs won't even try it. My older female will but she takes 1 or 2 balls that's it so I either make one nice sized ball or I add a couple live meals or supers in the ball if anything its a good source for adding variety to the diet I feed all of my pets a varied diet its better to have a variety then 1 source.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Owner of a Sun Kissed, Samurai Super Apricot Produced by Mike Matson and a Reduced Pattern C. Cranwelli

I've used the Samurai food before. My pacman had no problems accepting it. Still use it on occasion as a treat when I am feeling more 'hard-working' than usual to mix up a batch instead of just grabbing a dubia out of the box
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

9. This member thanks Jerah Teoh Yong Qiang for this post:

lumpbump

All three of mine eat the zoomed pacman food. Ill feed them the pacman food for a week or two, then switch to dubia roaches and the occasional superworm, then bout once a month they get a FT rat of appropriate size. All of mine are crazy for what ever I stick in front of them. After they eat a lot I sometimes don't feed them for like 5-7 days. Take em out and give em a good soak then they poop. Back into their enclosure they go and are ready to eat anything I put in front of em. They are my garbage disposals animals. They eat what ever I give em

Thread Information