Thread: Injured Pixie

Kelsieb

Default Injured Pixie

Seriously bad day today for my frogs! My big male pixie, Senor, seems to have a deep cut from an imbedded hair on his hind leg. I took him out to feed him tonight and noticed it, it wasnt there yesterday! It looks bad and was bleeding a little. Should I just leave this cut alone and let it heal or is there ointment I can put on it? He spends all his time in his water pool, He LOVES water, so i'm not to worried about dirt getting in the cut. Thanks for any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kelsieb

Default Re: Injured Pixie

I was able to get some pics of the wound. I forgot to mention I was able to cut the hair off using nail clippers (on the hair, not the frog!)
    Name:  Frogs 005.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  86.5 KBName:  Frogs 008.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  70.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

When it rains... it pours ! You can apply a plain (no painkillers) anti-biotic like Silver based or Neosporin to wound once a day. Would also consider adding Melafix into it's bath water; can get it at the fish section in most pet shops. Just follow the mixing directions in the bottle. Since you will probably mix a gallon at a time; once mixed keep solution in the dark. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kelsieb

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    When it rains... it pours ! You can apply a plain (no painkillers) anti-biotic like Silver based or Neosporin to wound once a day. Would also consider adding Melafix into it's bath water; can get it at the fish section in most pet shops. Just follow the mixing directions in the bottle. Since you will probably mix a gallon at a time; once mixed keep solution in the dark. Good luck !
    Thanks a bunch! Is the triple antibiotic neosporin okay to use? It has no pain reliever in it. I'm out of normal neosporin. The ingredients are Bacitracin, Neomycin, Polymyxin, light mineral oil and white petrolatum.

Nationality
    [United States]

According to their webpage the original Neosporin has those 3 ingredients. Not sure what you mean by "normal" and "triple antibiotic." Their website just calls one "Original" and that's the one without pain killers and thus safe .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsieb View Post
    Thanks a bunch! Is the triple antibiotic neosporin okay to use? It has no pain reliever in it. I'm out of normal neosporin. The ingredients are Bacitracin, Neomycin, Polymyxin, light mineral oil and white petrolatum.
    You can use that. Bactine actually is a little better, but Neosporin will work well. You are going to have to bathe him daily to clean the wound and apply the ointment also to make matters worse he will have to be housed on moist paper towels as substrate to keep debris and dirt out of the wound. This is a necessary action that must be taken. Keep feeding him and if the wound doesn't show signs of healing within a few days you may need to seek a Vets assistance for a better antibiotic ointments and possibly oral or injection antibiotics.

Keep us posted.

Kelsieb

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can use that. Bactine actually is a little better, but Neosporin will work well. You are going to have to bathe him daily to clean the wound and apply the ointment also to make matters worse he will have to be housed on moist paper towels as substrate to keep debris and dirt out of the wound. This is a necessary action that must be taken. Keep feeding him and if the wound doesn't show signs of healing within a few days you may need to seek a Vets assistance for a better antibiotic ointments and possibly oral or injection antibiotics.

Keep us posted.
    This guy spends all his time in the water, literally. He rarely leaves, only when I'm cleaning it. If I make sure he stays in his pool will that be good? I just don't want to stress him more than needed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsieb View Post
    This guy spends all his time in the water, literally. He rarely leaves, only when I'm cleaning it. If I make sure he stays in his pool will that be good? I just don't want to stress him more than needed.
    It will be difficult to apply any ointment if he is in the water all the time.

Kelsieb

His leg is healing very nicely, I can hardly tell the cut is even there anymore. It's a good thing he's a fairly mellow guy, otherwise I probably would've lost a finger by now!

Kelsieb

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    It will be difficult to apply any ointment if he is in the water all the time.
    I take him out of the water for treatment, give him a few worms for being a good sport and put him back in his water. He's a very chill boy and seems to know the routine that being picked up and put in his feeding/doctoring container means FOOD! LOL!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad frog is getting better !

Thread Information