Thread: Help, sick Gray Tree Froglet

Gentlemangorath

Default Help, sick Gray Tree Froglet

I recently moved my two remaining tree froglets into their new big tank, and they were doing fine for about two weeks now, until yesterday when I noticed one of them seems kind of off. He is a dark shade of gray, isn't moving very much, and isn't visiting the feeder dish when there are crickets in there. I can feed him with tongs, but he sometimes misses the cricket/has trouble getting it, so I'm really concerned about how much he's eating. He doesn't seem like he's all skin and bone, but I can see the faint outline of his spine, which is something I feel like I shouldn't be able to. They've been getting fairly standard care as per a care sheet, (dustings, feeding regularly, keeping humidity up), but I can post the emergency info if needed. Also, I was wondering if this could be caused by constipation? I haven't really seen poop from him over the past day, and he looks a little round, so I was thinking maybe a honey bath might help? I think I also heard it gives them some energy which can help with the feeding issue, or am I completely wrong on that last part. Regardless, if anyone happens to have had a similar situation, or any insight or advice, I'd really appreciate it, as I'd really like to save this guy .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help, sick Gray Tree Froglet

Hello Abraham and sorry your frog is not well . Please go ahead and answer the below questions to see if we can narrow down the cause. It's important you describe your water source and treatments. Also, check the expiration date on your supplements and describe the use schedule. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Gentlemangorath

1. Size of enclosure
    18x18x24
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    Just the two, pretty much the same size, but the other one is just alittle bigger
    3. Humidity
    I'm not sure, as I had just put a second digital thermometer/hygrometer combo toward the absolute bottom of the tank, and the humidity down there was as high as 90% sometimes (but again, right above the substrate) but I moved it up and now, along with the newly installed light, it reads about 55-80%, while the sensor at the top usually reads 60-80%, rarely falling into the 50's unless I've been away (never into the 40's)
    4. Temperature
    About 70-74 on average (depending on the location in the tank it seems as well though), with a temp drop at night about 3-5 degrees, but sometimes the heat in the room keeps it around the day time temp.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    Dechlorinated tap water for both
    6. Materials used for substrate
    Eco-earth coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    Plastic plants, driftwood log. They weren't really prepared before hand =/. I did have the tank set up for an extended period of time before putting most of the items in (fresh eco earth was added the day before the frogs were introduced)
    8. Main food source
    crickets, 1'8" (smaller than the width between the eyes, but I'm going back to pinheads when I can get more, to make it easier for him)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    -Calcium is once every other day between daily feedings, vitamins has been once a month, because I still don't feel safe using this stuff (once a week? once every other week? once a month? I've heard too many opinions >_<)
    10. Lighting
    13w 5.0 (100 UVB) compact bulbs, with a second added yesterday because I decided it'd be best to have it entirely lit up probably
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    Room is heated.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    Yesterday, once in the morning, once last night
    13. Have you found poop lately
    Not from this guy =/
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    I'll try to grab some from my phone
    15. How old is the frog
    Less than 6 months from being hatched
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    About 2 months
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    Wild caught, raised from froglet
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    Just crickets, smaller than the eyes as mentioned, every day, about 2-4, average 3
    19. How often the frog is handled
    I think I picked him up out of the dirt one time, and maybe nudged him with my fingernail once, but I haven't directly handled him. Also, any time I touch him I spray my hands down with the misting water beforehand.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    Low traffic, my room
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    I clean poop whenever I see it, try to change the water at least once every other day to three days max (it makes it hard when one of them is almost always on/in it, and I don't want to stress them out. If I can't get to the dish to change the water I sometimes drain it with a small pipetter and then add more from the misting bottle.

I've also noticed that the other frog's spine is slightly visible as well, but he or she is not lethargic like this one, visiting the feeding dishes, and is having no problem moving around and hunting. Am I not feeding them enough maybe?

Gentlemangorath

The froglet died. Within 30 minutes of me checking on it before and finding him fine. Then he's under the water level in the soaking dish and meh. Thanks Mentat, but it looks like I've lost another frog. Meh.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry missed your reply and about the froglet's death . Looked at your response and still concerned with the water. You need to change it daily; even if it looks clean. Frogs pee on their water and froglets are not smart to get out. Over time the toxins accumulate in their body and cause Toxic Out Syndrome with similar neurological symptoms to what you describe. Also; what dechlorinator are you using and check it's not expired. Good luck with other one !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Gentlemangorath

He's not dead yet it seems. Check the other topic I just posted for the update, he's moving around in his container atm, but he looks kind of disabled. Also, he kind of a black spot near his butt, making me think he is constipated too. But yeah, thank you for trying none the less, and thank you even more if you have some input to help. And I know the water needs to be changed as frequently as possible, but the little guys hand out at the dish all day sometimes, and they make it hard to get to it without disturbing them. But thank you again for the advice.

Thread Information