Thread: Dermestid larva

Mmfh

Default Dermestid larva

While feeding my toads some crickets tonight I think I accidentally knocked in a couple of dermestid larva. I looked for them but the soil is dark and they are dark and only about 1/4 inch long. I don't mind them among my crickets but I'm wondering if they can harm my toads? I'm hoping not, because I don't want to rip the cage apart looking for them, but will if I have to. So if anyone can put my mind at ease by letting me know if they are a potential threat that would be great. Thank you. Oh, they are in with a 2" and a 1" D. melanostictus (common asian toads).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Dermestid larva

They're harmless

Nationality
    [United States]

We raise Dermestid beetles in Large quantities and therefore their larvae are in Our Roach and cricket bins. Our toads, frogs, and dragons gobble the snacks up.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

theblackfrog2013

What are these beetles. Can they be feed to darts. Someone pm me on huh is plz

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Dermestid are a beetle that we use and sell as Cleaners for cricket and roach bins as they eat any dead or decaying flesh. Hunters and taxidermists also buy them in large colonies to clean skulls for various mounts within hours. The larvae form of which we have multiple thousands of are more easily digestible than the adult beetle with harder exoskeleton. While my frogs will not eat the beetles they readily snap up the larval form.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

theblackfrog2013

Okay cool can someone ship me a culture

Mmfh

Ty. They have probably been eaten as these toads are voracious lol.

Small Pet Feeders

Honestly Dermestids are great frog feeders. I usually use them in my roach bins, and some of my invertebrate communities. I'd actually recommend you try Buffalo Worms (Lesser Mealworms), as they can actually thrive in a frog tank and are a great cleanup crew like Dermestids too.

If you need some tips on how to take care of Dermestid beetles, I wrote a caresheet the other day here...
    Dermestids Caresheet (Beetles and Larvae) - Small Pet Feeders, LLC (English)

Hope it helps. They're really easy to care for as a feeder, especially if you have gutload and dog food, they're big protein eaters, and are actually commonly used in taxidermy to finish cleaning the meat from bones.

But yes, perfectly harmless, and even nutritional, depending on what they've been feeding on, which is often the same thing that your other insects are eating if they are being used as a cleanup crew, so no worries :-)

-Dave

theblackfrog2013

Quote Originally Posted by Small Pet Feeders View Post
    Honestly Dermestids are great frog feeders. I usually use them in my roach bins, and some of my invertebrate communities. I'd actually recommend you try Buffalo Worms (Lesser Mealworms), as they can actually thrive in a frog tank and are a great cleanup crew like Dermestids too.

If you need some tips on how to take care of Dermestid beetles, I wrote a caresheet the other day here...
    Dermestids Caresheet (Beetles and Larvae) - Small Pet Feeders, LLC (English)

Hope it helps. They're really easy to care for as a feeder, especially if you have gutload and dog food, they're big protein eaters, and are actually commonly used in taxidermy to finish cleaning the meat from bones.

But yes, perfectly harmless, and even nutritional, depending on what they've been feeding on, which is often the same thing that your other insects are eating if they are being used as a cleanup crew, so no worries :-)

-Dave
    Can I get some please lol.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wish they weren't in with crickets or roaches. Im a fiber artist and they love to eat my fiber if they escape the bin. They can be worse than wool moths!
    I understand how important they are though and its fascinating the work they do for taxidermists!

Nationality
    [United States]

While we were shifting through the Frass in our Dermestid Beetle Bins we recently discovered Thousands upon Thousands of newly hatched Dermestid Larvae. (Larvae eat the most dead material and live the longest)

Dermestid larvae and beetles are great feeders for your Darts and other Frogs. We posted Here Offering Dermestid Beetles along with Springtails, Isopods & Cleaner Crews for Tanks and Roach & Cricket Bins. Our Cricket bins have no liquefied Cricket mass of dead bodies due to the job these cleaner Crews do

If you can get your hands on some Dermestid Beetles they are well worth it and easy to maintain and grow from a starter colony.

The best way to keep them from flying I have found is to keep them below 84 degrees (Others say 80).

theblackfrog2013

Ill see if I can find some. Can you feed them to thumbnail darts

Nationality
    [United States]

For juveniles and Sub adult thumbs I believe you should stick with Springtails & Isopods you can Find Springtails & Isopods at the same above link
    Last edited by Ash; December 15th, 2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Clarity

theblackfrog2013

Just a question. I keep tincs

Nationality
    [United States]

My dermestid larvae (maculatus) are pretty substantial feeder for such small frogs(between 3-8 mm or about 1/8 inch to 1/3 inch )

theblackfrog2013

I need those

Nationality
    [United States]

Try them out =)

theblackfrog2013

Where can I get them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thread Information