Thread: Help choosing a frog or toad....

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help choosing a frog or toad....

Well, I've been sucked in. All these post with beautiful frogs and toads, I'm sold.

I cleaned and disinfected my crested geckos old 20 gallon tall today, and seeing it empty made me think about maybe picking up a little something to fill the space. So why not a frog or toad I'm thinking. I could use some of your help as I'm very new to amphibians and as such I really don't know what's out there as side from common frogs/toads you see in pet stores and some of the amazing frogs/toads some of you people own.

If you have any suggestions on what would do well in a tank that size I'd love to hear them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: Help choosing a frog or toad....

Small frogs and tree frogs are usually comfy in a tank smaller than 50 gallons. Toads usually get bigger and so will require a bigger tank than frogs do. Also depends on your preference, do you want a moist setup or a dry one?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    Small frogs and tree frogs are usually comfy in a tank smaller than 50 gallons. Toads usually get bigger and so will require a bigger tank than frogs do. Also depends on your preference, do you want a moist setup or a dry one?
    I'm up for anything. I was even thinking maybe something semi-aquatic. I think my only preference is that it be capable of living in 85F (ish*) temps, it's not mandatory but it would make my life easier, in the summer it gets really hot out here and keeping the temps down can become difficult, generally I move my crested gecko into are living room where are cooler is and that does the job, so like I said not mandatory but it would make life easier.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsrage View Post
    I'm up for anything. I was even thinking maybe something semi-aquatic. I think my only preference is that it be capable of living in 85F (ish*) temps, it's not mandatory but it would make my life easier, in the summer it gets really hot out here and keeping the temps down can become difficult, generally I move my crested gecko into are living room where are cooler is and that does the job, so like I said not mandatory but it would make life easier.
    I was going to suggest an african clawed frog. They really are beautiful creatures and swim very majestically. They are also fully aquatic.
    However they like their temperatures much cooler than that. I've been told between 68-72-ish range. Right now I'm keeping mine in the mid-high 70's, but doing things like having a fan on can help some heat problems (along with a well ventilated lid).

Also african clawed frogs are hardy, good for beginners, and relatively cheap! Just don't get any tutti fruitti or jellybean colored ones. They have been cruely dyed and purchasing just adds to the business. Look for maybe an albino or "wild type".

Check out more info on the google about these fascinating animals.
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elliotulysses View Post
    I was going to suggest an african clawed frog. They really are beautiful creatures and swim very majestically. They are also fully aquatic.
    However they like their temperatures much cooler than that. I've been told between 68-72-ish range. Right now I'm keeping mine in the mid-high 70's, but doing things like having a fan on can help some heat problems (along with a well ventilated lid).

Also african clawed frogs are hardy, good for beginners, and relatively cheap! Just don't get any tutti fruitti or jellybean colored ones. They have been cruely dyed and purchasing just adds to the business. Look for maybe an albino or "wild type".

Check out more info on the google about these fascinating animals.

Interesting suggestion, I didn't think of getting something fully aquatic. My only concern would be summer temps, there are 2 ways I generally cool my crested gecko as they also don't like higher temps exceeding 80F, the easy way is just putting it by the cooler in my living room and the harder way is using reusable ice packs or bags of ice. I'm not really sure how to go about cooling a tank filled with water though that would be new to me.

I live in a pretty old house so it makes keeping herps just a little more interesting. All the extra work is worth it though, my crested gecko is a joy to have.

All this being said I'd love to keep hearing suggestions, after all who doesn't love learning about new animals?

Tongue Flicker

I sooo relate to your overheating situation lol. How about your research about some aridity tolerating toads like spadefoot toads or cane toads

Nationality
    [United States]

I sooo relate to your overheating situation lol. How about your research about some aridity tolerating toads like spadefoot toads or cane toads
    Yeah, haha heat can be a pain to deal with but thankfully most of the time it's dry heat so it's a little more manageable. On a high humididty day with high heat (100F-110F).... I'll just say it's a bad day for everyone.
    Wow, the East Texas Toad is stunning! Found it in a thread made by Jhon on "Toad Basics" it's the middle picture outta the 3 images.

Tongue Flicker

Yeah it's really great to start out with legal local species first so you can hone a specialty

Nationality
    [United States]

If you're thinking tree frogs I wouldn't go anything bigger than a pair of grays in a 20 gallon, & you'll need to vertical to keep them happy & healthy. If you go toads I would say go with a smaller species like the Bumble Bee or Western Green unless you plan on only having one. Warning – one toad will lead to many more, they have the ability to connect with your soul turning you into a toad lovin' fool .
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Interesting suggestion, I didn't think of getting something fully aquatic. My only concern would be summer temps, there are 2 ways I generally cool my crested gecko as they also don't like higher temps exceeding 80F, the easy way is just putting it by the cooler in my living room and the harder way is using reusable ice packs or bags of ice. I'm not really sure how to go about cooling a tank filled with water though that would be new to me.

I live in a pretty old house so it makes keeping herps just a little more interesting. All the extra work is worth it though, my crested gecko is a joy to have.

All this being said I'd love to keep hearing suggestions, after all who doesn't love learning about new animals?
    My apartment is a pretty old studio that likes to blast heat, so I've come up with multiple ways of getting the temperature. A good box fan on for awhile works, and in the winter cracking open a window a bit helps. Also try freezing some water in a ziplock bag, put another ziplock bag over it (so no water leaks) and let it kind of float around. Of course, you should probably have a thermometer. And in the case of thermometers I suggest the stick on the side of the tank kind, not one that goes in the tank. I had one of those for awhile and my frogs would not stop pestering it! But when you have your little "cooling pack" floating around just watch the temperature until it gets to a comfortable temperature.
    I found these methods because, as I said, old building--no control over heat output, and they REALLY like to crank it up. Once or twice I had them at a bordering 76-78 F temperature, which was not fatal, but they were not too happy about it.

But I highly advocate for the ACF as a beginner frog. They have an interesting history too, such as being one of the first pregnancy tests, being the first vertebrae being cloned, and I believe they have even been to space! They are also social frogs so get a number between 2-4 depending on how big of a tank you want to get.

Also with my bag suggestion if you are paranoid about leaks, it couldn't hurt to just freeze some dechlorinated water
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah! I didn't see you were from CA. I don't think they let you keep ACFs. Maybe they are more forgiving and allow for african dwarf frogs, which really are similar to care for, just on a smaller scale and you can have a bit more

If not CA is supposed to have an ACF problem from owners letting them out into the wild. Maybe you'll come across one and foster it, though I'm sure that's illegal too :P
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah it's really great to start out with legal local species first so you can hone a specialty
    Maybe for some haha, Texas is a little far from me and local laws makes getting any native species pretty much illegal. The one frog I have right now I'm pretty sure I don't have legally, although I can't be sure as it was found in my house and not taken from the wild. Unless my house IS the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    If you're thinking tree frogs I wouldn't go anything bigger than a pair of grays in a 20 gallon, & you'll need to vertical to keep them happy & healthy. If you go toads I would say go with a smaller species like the Bumble Bee or Western Green unless you plan on only having one. Warning – one toad will lead to many more, they have the ability to connect with your soul turning you into a toad lovin' fool .
    What's the recommend minimum height for most tree frogs enclosures? The Bumble Bee Toad would be a very good candidate it fits my requirements well but it's a little smaller than I'd like and if I do choose something I only plan on getting one of said frog/toad for now. I'm really interested in the East Texas Toad but I don't know if/where you can buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by elliotulysses View Post
    Ah! I didn't see you were from CA. I don't think they let you keep ACFs. Maybe they are more forgiving and allow for african dwarf frogs, which really are similar to care for, just on a smaller scale and you can have a bit more

If not CA is supposed to have an ACF problem from owners letting them out into the wild. Maybe you'll come across one and foster it, though I'm sure that's illegal too :P
    Yup, just checked and the clawed frog is a no go out here in California. I gotta move outta California some day.

Nationality
    [United States]

For smaller tree frogs I would go minimum of 24". If you're thinking bigger like the Whites I would go 36". As for toads the Oak toad is bigger than the Bubble or Western Green yet would be comfortable in a 20 gallon.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    For smaller tree frogs I would go minimum of 24". If you're thinking bigger like the Whites I would go 36". As for toads the Oak toad is bigger than the Bubble or Western Green yet would be comfortable in a 20 gallon.
    Unless I'm looking at the wrong toad, the Oak Tod comes in at around the same size as a Bumble Bee Toad. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful toad but it's not for me.

What about Southern Toads, think 20 gallons is too small for one? Perhaps I'll just get a few FBT's, they've always caught my eyes in pet shops and making a 20 gallon semi aquatic tank sounds pretty fun. My only challenge (other than never making a semi aquatic tank haha) is temps but I figure I'll put these guys out in my living area.

I'm definitely not giving up on toads though, one day I really do hope to own a Anaxyrus woodhousii velatus, it has really caught my eye.

Tongue Flicker

Maybe for some haha, Texas is a little far from me and local laws makes getting any native species pretty much illegal. The one frog I have right now I'm pretty sure I don't have legally, although I can't be sure as it was found in my house and not taken from the wild. Unless my house IS the wild?

I'm definitely not giving up on toads though, one day I really do hope to own a Anaxyrus woodhousii velatus, it has really caught my eye.

LOL..

I've always been mystified with toads but their eyes keeps on freaking the daylights out of me haha

Billy Oscar Burrows

If you are mainly looking for something semi-aquatic then I would possibly recommend a Fire Bellied Toad? These are very good beginner amphibians, can be bought very cheaply and are readily available in most pet shops that sell exotics and would be very happy in your tanks specs...

Name:  john-albums-oriental-fire-bellied-toad-article-photos-picture7494-oriental-fire-bellied-toad-bom.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  151.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Oscar Burrows View Post
    If you are mainly looking for something semi-aquatic then I would possibly recommend a Fire Bellied Toad? These are very good beginner amphibians, can be bought very cheaply and are readily available in most pet shops that sell exotics and would be very happy in your tanks specs...
    That's the plan for now.

Thread Information