Thread: Quick couple questions before I purchase my little guy. Thanks!

ColdBlooded97

Default Quick couple questions before I purchase my little guy. Thanks!

Hey guys,

New to this forum and I love it. I have thoroughly researched the care requirments for a Pacman Frog but have some questions. When it comes to dusting prey for young frogs, should I really be dusting every day? Seems like a lot of calcium. Also should I get calcium with D3 or without? I've taken care of reptiles for years but amphibians are new to me, sorry.

If you have any other tips they would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

-Ryan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Quick couple questions before I purchase my little guy. Thanks!

Hi Ryan! CA/D3 are found together in some CA supplements because D3 enhances the CA absorption. Supplements should be adjusted to frogs age. Small froglets need more to build new bones fast, versus a full grown frog that just needs to maintain it's body physiological processes and preexisting bone mass.

Still, unless you are using a product for daily consumption, like Repashy's Calcium Plus; one a day is a bit too much. Here are some schedules you can start working with to get you started: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum!

Like Carlos said, they need the calcium with D3. These frogs do the majority of their growing in the first couple of mo nths. They need a lot of calcium to prevent MBD. On the other hand, too much calcium is dangerous as well. Follow a schedule such as Carlos suggested; babies should be offered food daily, dusted with caclcium with D3 every other feeding and multivitamin once a week (but not on the same night as the calcium).

If you have any other questions just ask. Feel free to post pictures of your new friend and enclosure. We love pics here! :-)

mchell43

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Like Carlos said, they need the calcium with D3. These frogs do the majority of their growing in the first couple of mo nths. They need a lot of calcium to prevent MBD. On the other hand, too much calcium is dangerous as well. Follow a schedule such as Carlos suggested; babies should be offered food daily, dusted with caclcium with D3 every other feeding and multivitamin once a week (but not on the same night as the calcium).

If you have any other questions just ask. Feel free to post pictures of your new friend and enclosure. We love pics here! :-)
    Hi have u got him yet? Just wanted to tell you about mine, He wont eat unless I dust them. Honestly I have even left him without for a few nights now he is older, and then put one in undusted it sat there for hours. I took it out dusted it and woof it was eaten before it hit the floor. I have even took them out and put them in undusted and he just sits glaring at me , they all have their funny little ways and tastes , your gonna love yours , I know I do as mine is a sweety that sings with me

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mchell43 View Post
    Hi have u got him yet? Just wanted to tell you about mine, He wont eat unless I dust them...
    If you are feeding daily that would be too much supplement and could overdose frog, specially if full grown. In your case, recommend use Repashy Calcium Plus because it's formulated for daily use .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

ColdBlooded97

Thank you! Will post pictures when I purchase him. So to be sure, I should feed a baby 2 crickets a day with supplements every other day? Lastly, when should I feed him other prey? Thanks so much. I just want everything to be perfect before I bring him home.

ColdBlooded97

Thank you! I'm definitely looking forward to owning one

Thread Information