Thread: Pyxie sick from bad feeder fish?

Pyxiefan001

Default Pyxie sick from bad feeder fish?

So I fed my Pyxie a silverside, the kind frozen from Petsmart. Not the first time she's eaten these. But I seem to have made her sick somehow by doing so.

I wanted to give her a little bit of variety this time and so started with the small fish. She took but then she seemed to momentarily lose her appetite. She ate one nightcrawler after that but didn't seem to want to eat anymore so I placed her back in her habitat (I usually feed her in a bare Sterlite so she can't ingest substrate).

She ate two more' crawlers INSIDE the cage. I've seen her poop well even after a few mouthfuls of ecoearth so I wasn't worried about that.

BUT NOW. . .she's thrashing about in her water basin as if distressed by something and every now and then she seems to be. . .trying to rearrange her stomach and making these odd. . .stomachy noises as she does so. almost like she trying to cough something back up. I'm convinced the fish has everything to do with this. I've never seen her act this way after a meal.

The silversides I had bought quite sometime ago, this past summer I think. But they were in the freezer the whole time. I thawed it in some warm water for 5 minutes before feeding. She's eaten these before (long time ago though, sort of a treat food). Did I not thaw it long enough? Could it be that were expired? The bag didn't even have an expiration date on it. I looked it over before throwing them away.

If I've made my frog sick with bad feeder fish, what can I do? She seems distressed and I feel I'm to blame for it.

And for what it's worth—I keep her cage heated to a constant 80 degrees (below the infrared light), her water basin is heated via small water heater (during this time of year) to 75 to78 degrees. Humidity is a constant 75 to 79 percent.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pyxie sick from bad feeder fish?

Well if the feeder fish was bad then a few things can happen. If she vomits it will be bad. They prolapse their stomachs to do so which can be fatal if the frog cannot get the stomach back in. You would need a Vet in a matter of minutes.

The frog can keep the fish down and it not actually be the problem. Could just be stressed due to the climate changes from winter.

Signs of a bad feeder are similar to toxing out syndrome and the frog will beging to bloat and possibly have diarrhea.

I would still see a Vet before anything that cannot be handled at home happens.

Pyxiefan001

So I should call a vet in the next day or so? Tell them I think I gave her a bad feeder? I was afraid she might prolapse her stomach. Hopefully she won't. If that happens how does the vet treat it? How much does it cost to treat?

In any case I'll be keeping a watch on her for next few days/week. . .and no more fish.

And I personally doubt the climate change has anything to do with it.

SCF

Personally, I would call the vet asap.

Edit; I've never fed a silverside, does anyone else use them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Never actually used silversides but they do seem to be very common feeders in the large lizard world and never heard of any ill effects.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post
    So I should call a vet in the next day or so? Tell them I think I gave her a bad feeder? I was afraid she might prolapse her stomach. Hopefully she won't. If that happens how does the vet treat it? How much does it cost to treat?

In any case I'll be keeping a watch on her for next few days/week. . .and no more fish.

And I personally doubt the climate change has anything to do with it.
    The Vet would take the frog away and use a very mild sedative to keep the frog somewhat calm while they place the stomach back in. I've never seen how they do it because I've never had a frog vomit it's stomach and because you're not allowed in there when they do it.

Cost varies from Vet to Vet. Replacing a Prolapsed Intestine usually runs over $200 for an exotic ER so I would imagine a prolapsed stomach would cost a similar amount if not more.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

those fish are bad! breast milk can only be frozen for 6 months in normal fridge/freezers before it is bad. Dead fish dont last that long!
    But your right, fish are good for a well rounded diet. Just make sure you use them up fast or buy a deep freezer to store extra food in, they can be programmed to be alot colder. Its also alot of fun to go to chinese grocery stores and buy alot of weird things for your frog, just an idea!

Pyxiefan001

UPDATE: found a big poo in the water when I came home from work tonight. Well shaped too as should be. I was worried she might try to puke, but fortunately it doesn't seem that's worry no more. I first got the idea to feed silversides from a user here. No more of that now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    those fish are bad! breast milk can only be frozen for 6 months in normal fridge/freezers before it is bad. Dead fish dont last that long!
    But your right, fish are good for a well rounded diet. Just make sure you use them up fast or buy a deep freezer to store extra food in, they can be programmed to be alot colder. Its also alot of fun to go to chinese grocery stores and buy alot of weird things for your frog, just an idea!
    Have to be careful buying chinese imported fish, shrimp, ect. Their regulations are not as strict as they are in the US.

Thread Information