Thread: 75 Gallon American Bullfrog Tank

damanta

Default 75 Gallon American Bullfrog Tank

Hello,
    I'm currently planning/starting to set up a 75 gallon tank for my American Bullfrog. I have a 33 by 16 inch storage tub that I plan to use for his pond- is this good, or is it too much water & not enough land? The other I was looking at was 23 by 16 inches. For substrate I am considering using gravel as a base with eco earth over it. Any ideas how many bricks it would take for a 75? Thanks all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 75 Gallon American Bullfrog Tank

Around 3/4 wet is good for an American Bullfrog, since they spend most of the time in water. Rather than gravel, would recommend something porous to make layer lighter Can find lava rock at hardware store (try Home Depot or Lowes). Also Seachem Matrix works OK but is more $. Above that layer place some plastic window netting, then layer of aquarium blue/white bonded pad, and then the shredded coco. Since frog can splash water out of tub, a drainage tube (clear undergravel filter lift tube with a block of filter foam in end to prevent clogging) going all the way to bottom will allow drainage access.

IRT coco bricks, I get couple gallons after hydrating a Plantation Soil Brick. It would depend how deep the layer is. Remember to use dechlorinated water when mixing them bricks and good luck !.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Carlos, definitely use a barrier over any gravel, rocks or hygroton balls. Bullfrogs are very aggressive eaters and sometimes grab their good very quickly and with a bit of force, taking in anything near their food. We wouldn't want him to eat anything indigestible that could cause intestinal impaction.

They love ponds and will spend 75% of their time in the water . Be sure to have a good filter in the water area or be prepared to empty and replace the water every couple of days. Even with a filter you should do weekly water changes. Bullfrogs eat well and therefore have a good amount of waste.

American bullfrogs are awesome!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

damanta

I'm not too worried about impaction. He refuses to eat outside of his water. I'm not using a filter initially, might add one down the road. For now I'm just going to change it often. I have a lot of non-amphibian herps/herp experience, and experience with amphibs in a museum setting so I know about filtered/dechlorinated water & all. Have done live vivs before, not sure ill go there this time though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by damanta View Post
    ...I'm not using a filter initially, might add one down the road. For now I'm just going to change it often...
    If you do not want to get into a more complex canister filter right now, recommend take a look at this little marvel: Ovation 1000 Submersible Power Jet Filter. I have one and has worked great in various set-ups. Once water is cycled changing 1/4 to 1/3 of it on weekly basis and rinsing sponge in removed tank water should be enough to keep nitrates down to acceptable levels .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

The ovation is good. The fluval nano is my all time fav though. And you can't beat the price
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BZ...110_SY165_QL70
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

damanta

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  80.1 KB
    Jeremiah's tank. I need to get better plants(might add pothos or look into lily pads later on) and pick up some cork and river wood. Later on I'll get a filter but for now I'm going to clean it frequently. He'll be moving in sometime in the next few days.

damanta

Views: 1220
Size:  76.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  104.3 KB
Views: 519
Size:  72.0 KB
    A few pictures of him in his tank-he loves it! Doing laps in his pond.

10. This member thanks damanta for this post:

Thread Information