Thread: New frog addition....What should it be.

thadmy

Default New frog addition....What should it be.

Alright I've been on hiatus from amphibians for about 2 years now been focusing on "hots". I have a couple empty 10s, and a 35 empty which I could use.

Alright for the questions what specie should I keep, I was thinking either Clown tree frogs, or Super Tiger Leg Monkey.

How would you guys set up the tank, I've made all kinds of GS backgrounds with both Silicon, and Titlebond.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New frog addition....What should it be.

Either frog species should do OK in the 35G, specially if stood on end to benefit their arboreal nature. You could use the 10G stood on end as their quarantine tank, while their permanent home cycles and plants get a head start. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

NatureLady

I vote Clowns!!!! Then again they are on my tree frog bucket list...<3 them!!!!

Default New frog addition....What should it be.

Both are cool species. I hate recommending species because it is such a personal decision. But if it were me, I would go with clowns.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

thadmy

I was leaning towards clowns, but I hardly ever see them for sale. I see Tigers at my local reptile show often.... If I were to do clowns which I most likely will would I set the tank up like RETFs, heavily planted and vertical conversion of the tank?

makrau03

You can find clown tree frogs here: Tree Frogs for Sale but they are sold out currently. They usually have them come the spring. They ship the animals very nicely and have strict rules regarding on you being there when they are delivered. They are awesome frogs though, definitely will have some of my own when I can afford it! I currently have 7 frogs and a sulcata tortoise so I must wait

Nationality
    [United States]

I have kept D.leucophyllatus (clowns) and P.hypochondrialis (normal tiger leg) and I definetelly prefer the tiger leg. I unfortainetly did not have success with the clowns and they past a few months after getting them. The tiger legs seem much more hardier and I had them for a few years. They ate like pigs. If P.tomopterna are anything like hypochondrialis then I personally would get them. But this does not mean that you wont have succes wit clowns.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by makrau03 View Post
    You can find clown tree frogs here: Tree Frogs for Sale but they are sold out currently. They usually have them come the spring. They ship the animals very nicely and have strict rules regarding on you being there when they are delivered. They are awesome frogs though, definitely will have some of my own when I can afford it! I currently have 7 frogs and a sulcata tortoise so I must wait
    Keep in mind that backwater does not carry the animals on site, they are brokers. And from their reputaion very nasty brokers.

thadmy

Yeah I've never dealt with Backwater, but I have heard horror stories about them. I plan on getting both clowns, and super tigers at some point was thinking of starting both their tanks at the same time and then just acquiring one then the other a few months later.

I've read plenty of articles on Tigers, there was even an article in a Reptiles magazine a few months back but I'm unsure of the care of clowns. All the articles I've read no one really seems to agree on anything so I wasn't sure.

Thread Information