Thread: Got my RETF's - Is one RETF Bloated?

Andry

Default Got my RETF's - Is one RETF Bloated?

Ok, if you remember me, just a couple of days ago I was asking if I was ready for RETF's. I did go out and buy them yesterday from a local store. Unfortunately wild caught, but he assured me they only use this one guy who ships from Indonesia because he has his own frog farm and the frogs are in a large enclosure where they breed and then catch them. He has 6 frogs and he said he had had them for 2 months and they were doing well.

They looked healthy so I brought two home. A larger one and a smaller one, hoping male and female.

So, they both popped in their tank and fell asleep pretty quickly. One hasn't moved since. the other/smaller one I woke up at 4 am and he had moved to another position. He was originally sleeping on the back board and then he moved to the glass. Now at 8:30am he was on the other side of the tank on the other glass. Each time sleeping. But this time I noticed the blue was showing on his sides which makes him look bloated. He was the smaller one and now looks as big or bigger than the other one. He could have just had his share of the three crickets I put in the tank overnight, but does that make them look like this?

Here they are when we first got them in the tank...

And here they are sleeping this morning, both looked the same before with everything/all colors tucked in, and now one has blue color showing, plus he looks as big or bigger than the other one which was a lot bigger yesterday when I bought them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Andry

Default Re: Got my RETF's - Is one RETF Bloated?

Sorry I forgot to add that this bloated frog was shedding last night. I've seen a video on youtube of a RETF that was shedding and this one was behaving the same way. Scratching his face with his hands and scratching his back with his hind legs and a lot of yawning and tilting his head backward.

Also, I looked around and can see 2 crickets out of the three that I had added to the tank last night. So, if he ate any of them, it was just one.

FYI - The other frog has been awake and alert since 9 a.m. for about an hour now. He's soaking his butt in water and has changed from light green when sleeping to dark green while roaming around and now that his butt's in the water he has changed to blotchy green to light green to pale green and very blotchy. He looks terrible. I hope that is normal.

I have started a journal of behavior to make a webpage of normal and abnormal behavior so that others can have a reference for future. I with I had one right now.

missclick

im pretty sure puffing up their bellies is a pretty normal behavior, my dumpy does the same thing and she/he is fine i wouldnt worry too much. (however im not an expert or anything and dont keep this species) you have two very beautiful frogs

Andry

Thank you! Yes, I do believe now that I have seen the other one do the same thing that it looks like it is normal. Thank you for your reply. The other one sat his rump in the water for about an hour and changed from dark green to light green and then went to the glass to sleep some more and he looks bloated now too with his blue showing while sleeping, so all looks normal. Maybe they just absorb a lot of water and become plump that way. Pretty interesting to watch all this. I'm having so much fun watching and observing.

Here are more pics and video of the process....

Here he is now dark green since he woke up...

soaking his rump and turned very light green after about an hour of soaking:

Videos:
    http://andry.smugmug.com/Animals/RET...70_iCVJh-M.jpg
    http://andry.smugmug.com/Animals/RET...13_WHzvM-M.jpg
    Tried to hand feed him:
    http://andry.smugmug.com/Animals/RET...21_nyape-M.jpg
    http://andry.smugmug.com/Animals/RET...93_S8rNV-M.jpg
    http://andry.smugmug.com/Animals/RET...26_vVdG7-M.jpg

missclick

my dumpy also changes colors, its just a natural thing (probably related to how much moisture they have in their skin im guessing?) and also likes to sit in that fashion in the water. I might suggest making lower walls on the water dish because they like to grab onto the edge of the bowl.

Andry

Default Re: Got my RETF's - Lot's of Pics!

Ok, great! Thanks for that info. I do have a bowl just like that one with shorter walls. I will change it out.

Oh, and I wasn't too worried about the changing of colors, I have read that they change colors based on temperature and stuff. I was more worried about the bloating, but now that I see both have done this, then I can see it's something normal.

Thank you all, I am a worried/nervous first time mother. But now I feel much more comfortable and am soooo happy that they are actually being active and not sleeping without waking like some others have said theirs have done when they are first brought home.

Kurt

Default Re: Got my RETF's - Lot's of Pics!

They look normal and well fed. No worries. Have they been dewormed yet?

Andry

No, I haven't dewormed. I thought that was something I had to do if they looked ill or if I was adding them to another frog habitat. I didn't know I had to do that regardless. Wouldn't it stress them out more to be taking them to a vet when I just got them? Or is there something I can do at home to deworm them myself?

Skulldroog

The coloring is normal. Mine does the same thing, usually sleeps all the time except when hunting for crickets, and is dark green.

Nothing unusual here. They look healthy.

Kurt

Deworming all wild caught frogs is a good idea. It's also a good idea to do this with captive bred animals as well. It hopefully will prevent a problem a little bit down the road. You will need to see a vet to have this done. Don't worry about stressing them out by taking them to the vet, a little bit of stress won't kill them and deworming them will kill off parasites that can.

Thread Information