Thread: Trouble in the enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Trouble in the enclosure

1. Medium size tupperware. About 2 or 3times the size of a delli cup. Will post picture soon
    2. No other inhabitants in tupperware dish.
    3. He is in low standing water with a lid on tupperware
    4. Our thermostat is around 79 degrees lately. it hasn’t dropped under 75
    5. Tap water with softener/dechlorinator
    6. A few layers of paper towel. Also paper towel around sides for privacy
    7. No setup due to age/size of frog. For the first 5 days i had him in a 10gallon tank with coco fiber substrate a plant and water dish. I have had himexactly 2 weeks now. I moved him because i thought it was too big for him andhe ate a little substrate wich i believe turned him off to feeding.. I askedabout his setup briefly from where he came from. apparently he was just in somekind of container with low standing water. No substrate or anything like that
    8. Attempting earthworm segments by tongs.
    9. No vitamins, no food
    10. No light other than natural from bedroom window.
    11. I have a ceramic heater for when its needed.
    12. He ate the first night of arrival and once more 8 days later. Tomorrow willbe 1 week since he's eaten again.
    13. Found poop once about 6 days ago.
    14. I'm at work now but will try and load up a picture asap
    15. I've had him for 2 weeks. He's a cbb, very tiny. about quarter size
    16. 2 weeks
    17. Captive bred baby
    18. No food, thats the issue of my post. I'm very new to being a frog owner. Ihave done a fair amount of research from this site though and have 2 otherhorned frogs that are doing great. The frog i'm having issues with is the c.cornuta. I have watched the tong feeding 101 & 102 on youtube as well
    19. I have only handled him 2 or 3 times very breifly to clean his enclosure
    20. Very low traffic
    21. I have been making a point to clean his paper towel enclosure about every 4days. I take everything out and rinse with hot water. Put fresh paper towel inand fresh softened water

He's an adorable frog. i'm heartbroken that he wont relax and eat. Its likewatching him die slowly for no apparent reason. If theres anything i can do tohelp him, i would gladly do it, ANYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGG ! ! !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Trouble in the enclosure

Buy a medium Reptile Carrier and place a Zoo Med mini UTH(Under Tank Heater) on the side. Cover the rest of the sides with some kind of background so that the frog cannot see out. Cover the vented lid with plastic wrap to hold in heat and humidity, but make sure to leave the vents on each end open for air circulation. This setup will be small enough so that the frog does not feel overwhelmed, but will also provide plenty of space for the frog to grow.

Use Coconut Fiber substrate only deep enough for the frog to cover itself so you can find it. Feed at night. These frogs are nocturnal. Try small crickets for now and when you offer him crickets break the hind legs off them so that they cannot jump. This will make them easy prey.

Try this and keep me posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  cornuta1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  33.3 KBName:  cornuta2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  41.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Thats a baby cornuta. Where did it come from?

Use the setup instructions I posted above.

Namio

Cool, like Grif said, that is a baby Cornuta, and a green one, too! How cute!

Nationality
    [United States]

Believe it was reptilepetsdirect. I plan on following your instructions fully.

I wanted to share a very promising moment from last night. I stopped at wallmart on way home to get some fresh earthworms. when i got home i opened his container and snippped a peice off, closed lid, and walked away for 20 minutes or so. This worm segment was really wiggling around witch i hoped would be visually stimulating for him. when i checked back it was gone... So he wont be starving to death in the immediate future whewwwww !! RELIEVED, for now.. I have done this before but to no avail. maybe these worms were just fresh and wiggley or something ?

I wanted to share a concern. I dont think he's used to the coco fiber and it freaks him out when he tries to eat. the first 2 or 3 days i had him he lunged for food a few times and after 3 days or so never again. after i fed him successfully the first night he ate some fiber the next two nights and didnt really try again except for once like a week later after i had him in tupperware
    I will get reccomended supplys friday morning at the latest and do what you said. maybe i'll lay some paper towell down on his coco fiber inside the critter cage to prevent this from happening again. dont think he has ever felt coco fiber except when i first got him. Guess he has to get used to it sooner or later. He never tried to burrow or anything. I'll try and upload a pic of his previous setuup when i get home so you can see the 10 gallon setup i had him in originally. it was probably too big from what ive read

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Believe it was reptilepetsdirect. I plan on following your instructions fully.

I wanted to share a very promising moment from last night. I stopped at wallmart on way home to get some fresh earthworms. when i got home i opened his container and snippped a peice off, closed lid, and walked away for 20 minutes or so. This worm segment was really wiggling around witch i hoped would be visually stimulating for him. when i checked back it was gone... So he wont be starving to death in the immediate future whewwwww !! RELIEVED, for now.. I have done this before but to no avail. maybe these worms were just fresh and wiggley or something ?

I wanted to share a concern. I dont think he's used to the coco fiber and it freaks him out when he tries to eat. the first 2 or 3 days i had him he lunged for food a few times and after 3 days or so never again. after i fed him successfully the first night he ate some fiber the next two nights and didnt really try again except for once like a week later after i had him in tupperware
    I will get reccomended supplys friday morning at the latest and do what you said. maybe i'll lay some paper towell down on his coco fiber inside the critter cage to prevent this from happening again. dont think he has ever felt coco fiber except when i first got him. Guess he has to get used to it sooner or later. He never tried to burrow or anything. I'll try and upload a pic of his previous setuup when i get home so you can see the 10 gallon setup i had him in originally. it was probably too big from what ive read
    If you want you can use paper towels as his substrate in the Reptile Carrier. If he is used to them then it should be fine. Once he is older switch to coco fiber.

9. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm going to get his critter carrier in the morning and will use paper towel as his substrate for now.
    I have really great news ! He ate again last night ! I'm soooo happy ! Now i dont have to worry so much. I left him a pretty nice sized segment last night too. when i came back to check on him 10 minutes later,Name:  Cornuta - 1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  30.1 KBName:  Cornuta - 2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  29.4 KBName:  Cornuta - 3.jpg
Size:  17.7 KB and poof gone. I couldn't be happier, for now at least.
    Take a look. he's looking nice and round now, healthy

And thanks for advise so far. It's much appriciated !

Nationality
    [United States]

Cute cornuta Glad he's eating for you.

On the paper towels: They have to be changed a LOT. Otherwise you run the risk of the frog's urine creating a toxic environment. After he's eating regular, you could try housing him on cocofiber and moving to a feeding tank with paper towel to eat.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

12. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Good that your nice Cornuta frog is eating now. You've gotten good advice, do make sure you use dechlorinated tap for damp paper towels and change them frequently, no less that daily. Now that frog is eating night crawlers, can start dusting it's food with CA/D3 and vitamins. Can see a schedule in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. When cutting night crawlers, do so from pointy end, and pieces no longer than frogs length from snout to vent. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

14. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    I'm going to get his critter carrier in the morning and will use paper towel as his substrate for now.
    I have really great news ! He ate again last night ! I'm soooo happy ! Now i dont have to worry so much. I left him a pretty nice sized segment last night too. when i came back to check on him 10 minutes later,Name:  Cornuta - 1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  30.1 KBName:  Cornuta - 2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  29.4 KBName:  Cornuta - 3.jpg
Size:  17.7 KB and poof gone. I couldn't be happier, for now at least.
    Take a look. he's looking nice and round now, healthy

And thanks for advise so far. It's much appriciated !
    Simply adorable!

Carole

16. This member thanks reptileszz for this post:

Thread Information