Thread: toad escape :(

ChrissyBee

Default toad escape :(

I'm so sad, one of my two fire bellies escaped. I went to feed them last night and could only find one in the tank. I realized that the screen lid hadn't been secured as usual, I'm thinking my nephew was looking at them and left it ajar. Sigh

I tore the room apart that the tanks are in but no luck. I hadn't checked on them in 24 hours so I'm thinking he could have gotten anywhere in my house. What are the prospects for survival? How long can they be out of water without desiccating? I had this happen years ago with a newt and the poor guy didn't last long, I found him dried up dead the next morning

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: toad escape :(

Try placing a few shallow dishes with dechlorinated water in floor. Are there any animals loose in house? Last thing you want is a dog or cat eating it .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

ChrissyBee

I put dishes out in all the upstairs rooms, I'm really doubtful that he went down the stairs (long, winding staircase) but I guess you never know. And yes, my dog is loose

The good news is he doesn't go upstairs unless it's with me so I'm hoping he doesn't find/eat the toad. There are a lot of closets and hiding spaces up there, is that the type of place these guys will typically go when loose?

Nationality
    [United States]

Have no idea where it would go; but would make sense to try and hide. If your dog gets ill; do take it to vet and explain about frog.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

That's so sad! I hope you find him soon! Are you 100% positive he isnt still in the enclusure?

ChrissyBee

Yeah I'm sure

I took out all the big rocks/logs to double check. Still no sign of him in the house, I'm losing hope

I've since secured the lid even better so hopefully this will never happen again. Now I just have one toad, I'm going to get another 1 or 2 this week.

I had this happen to me back in the spring with one of my better climbers. I finally found him in my closet the next day. The poor thing I was heart broken. They are definitely hard to find especially when they are dried up so my suggestion is to get down on its level and search every corner starting at the enclosure. It is likely he went and took cover under/in something dark so check under and in everything. Especially your shoes before putting them on. I am very sorry you have had to go through this. Best of luck with the new guys.

lreid

Unfortunately I think I just had this happen to me. I work in an office and recently set up a pretty nice enclosure featuring a pair of fire bellies and a betta. They were thriving for a few weeks. Eating voraciously and quite active. I have a glass canopy and a lighted hood on the aquarium. I was developing quite a mold problem so I cut tiny corners out of the back strip of the glass canopy to increase air flow. The canopy is still underneath a recessed hood which fits tightly around the corners( or so I thought). One morning i came into the office to only find one toad.

I stealthy looked everywhere i could think of for the escapee but with no luck. I was reluctant to bring it up to my office mates as the last thing i wanted was to hear 5 middle aged women shriek about a lost toad. I work for a pet retailer so there are several dogs that roam the office and my worst fear is for one of them to find this poor toad. I had to say something and had a mini search and rescue party but we still haven't been able to find that little guy.

TheRealJovA

Default toad escape :(

This happen 2 times to me . 1st time, It got out but luckily I caught it. I was up all night trynna hear something till finally I caught her . 2nd time, well I never found it. My mom found the leg Supposably and to be honest it did look like the leg. So what I did is add an extra screen to prevent another escape . My thing is also cricket proof now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information