Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my Whites tree frog a healthy size?

blaze

Default Is my Whites tree frog a healthy size?

He has not gained or lost weight since I have purchased him. I just wanted to know if my frog is a healthy size/weight?Name:  Cas back.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  56.9 KBName:  Cast.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  47.9 KBName:  Casti.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  89.6 KBName:  Cas side light PS.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  79.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ariesheiress

Default Re: Is my Whites tree frog a healthy size?

He does look small, but not unhealthy. Maybe add some meal worms (cut their head off before feeding) or feed your froggy more frequently or more in one setting depending on what your feeding schedule is.. If he is eating well and still not gaining anything, take him to an exotics vet if you're concerned.

Beardo

He does look a tad "thin"....how often and what are you feeding him?

For young frogs, I always offer them food every day....occasionally they will go a day or two per week without eating. My staple diet for my frogs is homegrown dubia roaches which are much more nutritious than crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There is a red tint to the color, I hope this due to a red light bulb?? And if this is a young frog you do want to feed every day, and if you want to fatten him up use wax or butter worms, but just a few worms each week.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

blaze

Well, For the one picture with the red tint to it, I used some Photoshop LOL. I feed him 2 times a week, Usually around 3-5 crickets each time. He goes nuts and eats right away!! I had tried feeding him meal-worms in the past, but he didn't like them. Hes not too crazy on eating from my hand as he has AMAZING accuracy. How ever today, I feed him 3 meal worms and 3 crickets. At first I had though he had worms, So I did a quarantine, and since then I found out he does NOT have worms. He has gained I would estimate about 4-6 grams since I purchased him. He was stupid skinny when I got him. As for holding him. Every time except today, He has squirted his water out at me. I wanted to know if he would eventually stop doing this if I set up a scheduled routine holding? I will take some pictures of him tomorrow to show you how he is looking.

blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    He does look a tad "thin"....how often and what are you feeding him?

For young frogs, I always offer them food every day....occasionally they will go a day or two per week without eating. My staple diet for my frogs is homegrown dubia roaches which are much more nutritious than crickets.
    He is young, But not a juvi. He is about 2 and a half years old.

Nationality
    [United States]

Does not seem to be of good weight for a 2 year old. How is he eating?

blaze

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Does not seem to be of good weight for a 2 year old. How is he eating?
    I don't even know if that is 100% how old he is. I purchased him from a reptile breeder at the reptile expo. He told me he was 2 and a half years old. How much should I be feeding him? I feed him 4-6 crickets 2 times a week. I feed him large crickets and he loves to only eat them from his tank. Yesterday though, I feed him some mealworms because it was the first time he said yes to some. Here are pictures taken 15 mins ago of him.Name:  IMG_3378.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  65.2 KBName:  IMG_3379.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  57.2 KBName:  IMG_3380.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  63.4 KBName:  IMG_3381.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  70.4 KBName:  IMG_3382.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  37.2 KB

Dreadfrog

Young frogs should be fed every day with what ever your food choice . Gut load food to make more nutritious and dust couple times a week with calcium dust, if you do he should gain waight .
    If he is 2 years old he can be fed every other day . But don't worry if you want him to gain a bit feed more often . Use your best judgment . Good luck

Nationality
    [United States]

Being an indonesian it is probably WC. The nose rub scars also make me believe it is WC. I doubt the person who sold him to you knows of his age. Thats just my opinion. In the last pics he doesn't look so bad.

blaze

Being an indonesian it is probably WC. The nose rub scars also make me believe it is WC. I doubt the person who sold him to you knows of his age. Thats just my opinion. In the last pics he doesn't look so bad.
    It could have been the position he was in or the quality of the pictures. I am sorry, I am pretty sure you are meaning West Coast? But I am not sure LOL. Those are definetly nose rub scars as he was in an overly small container for his size!! I will post a picture of the container I got him in and a not so good quality picture of the day I got him while he was in his container.

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha. Sorry, WC= wild caught.

blaze

The container I got him in I believe was a cruel size to have had him transported in!! As you can see from the pictures.... He was in this container from when he left were ever he comes from until the time I bought him brought him home and set up him new tank. Right from the reptile expo I went to the petlovers because the owner in there is AMAZING nice!! He told me to just look after his nose rub for a week or so and if it didnt get better to bring him back in. It healed and scared. In my opinion it just adds character LOL :P here are the pictures.
    Name:  Castiel on the first day.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  51.6 KBName:  To small of container for cass.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  66.9 KBName:  IMG_3383.jpg
Size:  45.4 KBName:  IMG_3384.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  48.8 KBName:  IMG_3385.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  41.3 KB

blaze

Haha. Sorry, WC= wild caught.
    Holly scrap!!!!! Really!!!!!!!! Thats soooo cruel!!! =( I feel bad now. So I guess that answers my question about holding him. Every time I try to hold him, He sprays his waters on me. So I guess that is the reason.

blaze

General question as well, Does he look like a 2 year old whites frog or is he small in size/ not weight but size for 2 years??

Beardo

I have a CBB male who is only a few months old thats almost as big as that frog so I highly doubt its 2 years old.....definitely WC judging from the appearance.

Beardo

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    The container I got him in I believe was a cruel size to have had him transported in!! As you can see from the pictures.... He was in this container from when he left were ever he comes from until the time I bought him brought him home and set up him new tank. Right from the reptile expo I went to the petlovers because the owner in there is AMAZING nice!! He told me to just look after his nose rub for a week or so and if it didnt get better to bring him back in. It healed and scared. In my opinion it just adds character LOL :P here are the pictures.
    Name:  Castiel on the first day.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  51.6 KBName:  To small of container for cass.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  66.9 KBName:  IMG_3383.jpg
Size:  45.4 KBName:  IMG_3384.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  48.8 KBName:  IMG_3385.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  41.3 KB
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that size container, if you purchased him from a reptile show.

blaze

Absolutely nothing wrong with that size container, if you purchased him from a reptile show.
    I would have just figured that if he was imported that far away you would think he would be in a bigger container to avoid nose rub, and infections.

blaze

I have a CBB male who is only a few months old that's almost as big as that frog so I highly doubt its 2 years old.....definitely WC judging from the appearance.
    How can you tell if it is WC just by the appearance? What do you look for? What do I do since it was WC? How much bigger is he going to get? Is it for sure a male then? He has the brown patches above the thumbs.

Beardo

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    I would have just figured that if he was imported that far away you would think he would be in a bigger container to avoid nose rub, and infections.
    He wasn't imported in THAT cup lol.....that cup was bought by the vendor specifically for display at the show lol. Animals are imported in giant wooden crates in styrofoam boxes typically (depending on the animals of course.....snakes are usually in snakebags/pillow cases).

How can you tell if it is WC just by the appearance? What do you look for? What do I do since it was WC? How much bigger is he going to get? Is it for sure a male then? He has the brown patches above the thumbs.

The vast majority of WTFs are wild caught, from Indonesia. Seeing as how they are stressed out from the trip, they will rub their noses and try to escape their containers.....most captive bred animals do not do this, at least not as dramatically. Have you heard him calling at all? Thats the tell tale sign of a male

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information