Thread: How To Breed Dwarf African Clawed Frogs

findiviglio

Default How To Breed Dwarf African Clawed Frogs

Hi All,

Dwarf African Clawed Frogs, also known as Dwarf African Frogs (Hymenochirus boettgeri and H. curtipes) are very popular pets, yet few hobbyists attempt to breed them in captivity. Reproduction sometimes occurs spontaneously, but unless one is prepared, the eggs and tadpoles rarely survive. As both a lifelong frog enthusiast and career herpetologist, I find this to be a sad state of affairs. For these tiny aquatic frogs can be easily induced to breed and exhibit some of the amphibian world’s most amazing reproductive behaviors – including a circular egg-laying “dance” that may go on for 7 hours! The bizarre tadpoles are equipped with tubular mouths and swim in a head up position at the water’s surface, propelled by rapidly-beating tails. Looking somewhat like tiny skin-divers, rearing a tankful of these charming little amphibians is a most interesting and pleasurable undertaking. Read the rest of this article here How to Breed Dwarf African Clawed Frogs

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How To Breed Dwarf African Clawed Frogs

Hi Frank:
    Thanks for another great article

Although, I have never kept the dwarfs, I am very interested in the evolutionary study of the family Pipidae. The dwarf frogs (genus Hymenochirus) are more closely related to the South American Pipa than to the larger African clawed frogs, Xenopus. So it looks like Pipa, Hymenochirus and possibly the poorly known Pseudhymenochirus belong to the subfamily Pipinae. Xenopus belongs to the subfamily Xenopodinae. To make matters more confusing, Xenopus tropicalis and X. epitropicalis have been moved to the genus Silurana (new subfamily Siluraninae) and they are also more related to Pipa than to Xenopus. Fossilized Xenopus have been found in South America. I cannot think of a better example to show that Africa and South America were once one continent
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

findiviglio

Default Re: How To Breed Dwarf African Clawed Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Hi Frank:
    Thanks for another great article

Although, I have never kept the dwarfs, I am very interested in the evolutionary study of the family Pipidae. The dwarf frogs (genus Hymenochirus) are more closely related to the South American Pipa than to the larger African clawed frogs, Xenopus. So it looks like Pipa, Hymenochirus and possibly the poorly known Pseudhymenochirus belong to the subfamily Pipinae. Xenopus belongs to the subfamily Xenopodinae. To make matters more confusing, Xenopus tropicalis and X. epitropicalis have been moved to the genus Silurana (new subfamily Siluraninae) and they are also more related to Pipa than to Xenopus. Fossilized Xenopus have been found in South America. I cannot think of a better example to show that Africa and South America were once one continent

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated; I enjoy the same...thanks for bringing this up. I wasn't aware that fossilized Xeonpus had been found in SA, thank you. Best, Frank

Thread Information