Thread: White mosquito larvae for african clawed frogs

Busted85

Default White mosquito larvae for african clawed frogs

Hey everyone

I'm thinking of adding two african clawed frogs to my community fish tank with medium sized fish. I regularly feed my fish with blood worms and I've heard that such a diet might cause an african clawed frog to bloat. Would the frogs suffer from the same symptoms, if I instead would start to feed with white mosquito larvae?

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Small Pet Feeders

Default Re: White mosquito larvae for african clawed frogs

I'm not sure about white mosquito larvae, but giving your pet a varied diet is always important. I'd recommend you worry about adding several different feeders to your pet's diet, that way you don't really need to worry about nasty side effects due to overfeeding a single feeder.

Personally, without knowing how big your lil guy is, I'd recommend at least Grindal Worms. They are cultured on coco coir and can feed on everything, but I personally like to use slightly moistened end pieces of the bread I buy, and they seem to love it. We have them for sale on SmallPetFeeders.com if it's convenient for you.
    http://www.smallpetfeeders.com/157-grindal-worms

If you've got a super small one, like 1.5" or smaller, then I'd recommend Vinegar eels and Microworms. Vinegar eels culture in a 50/50 apple cider vinegar mix, and Microworms in oatmeal basically. Both are super easy to care for, and would give you another 2 options for the diet regimen, but they are both very small, and suitable only for insect eating plants, fish fry, and super small aquatic frogs.

If he's big enough, then I'd recommend Red Wigglers, which are awesome for composting too by the way. They can be kept at room temperature, and fed food scraps until you feed them all off, or they'll actually reproduce if you just add a lil peat moss or coco fiber.

You've got a bunch of options, and really shouldnt limit to a single feeder, no matter what it is. Hope this helps :-)

-Dave

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If I understand you correctly you are planning on adding two african clawed frogs to your community tank,

Well if you were adding Dwarf african frogs I would say great.
    but the larger ACF's will not bee a good fit for a community tank when they grow.

they will try to eat the fish.
    and if the fish are too big to eat they might stress out the frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

One of the reasons myself and others do not recommend mixing frog with other animals is because of different environment or food requirements. In the case of mixing ACFs with fish; it will also be a problem of who eats who based on the bigger mouth or if the faster fish stress out the frogs like Louis stated.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And to expand on Carlos's comment,
    I had to place a small ceramic bowl in my aquarium that is set level with the substrate
    and feed the fish at the other end of the tank and then feed a sinking pellet food for the frogs.
    right over the dish so the frogs can easily find the food.

I have had 7 ADF's in a community tank of 17 neon tetras 3 green cory's 3 Otto's 3 Cherry barbs.
    for the last 4 years and all is well.

Thread Information