Thread: possible impaction?

Default possible impaction?

So I got my pacman (Jeremiah) about a week ago and immediately started to feed him some medium sized crickets. Yesterday he ate a cricket and also swallowed some moss with it. Ive been reading and some people say moss is fine, others say its a killer (i already had moss so i said why not). anyways, today he was sort of cringing and tossing his stomach. it looked rather odd. now his somach is uneven. the right side is big and the left looks deflated. you guys think he is impacted? hes got me worried. oh and after he ate that cricket he immediately stopped eating and hasnt tried to eat since

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default possible impaction?

I would try a nice 80'F (lukewarm) dechlorinated water soak with a few drops of honey in it for 15-20 minutes, followed by a plain dechlorinated water soak to rinse off the honey residue. It helps them to pass their feces.

Moss...I would avoid moss for this very reason. Being they are aggressive eaters which lunge quickly at their food, they can accidentally ingest the moss, which can cause impaction. The safest substrates are coconut fiber (not husk), plain plantation soil, moist paper towels, and a few people I know use safe matts.

Good luck with the soak and please let us know how he does.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: possible impaction?

Hello and welcome to FF! Stomach movements you describe could be result of moss piece in frog's stomach. Right now, can only wait and follow Heather's advice. BTW, crickets size should be same as distance between frog's eyes. Here is link to a nice care article for them: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thanks guys. I tried a warm water bath this morning before I left and it seemed to relax him but no poop. I'll try again with honey when I get back. Hopefully he's pooped by then!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats just a pic of the little guy so y'all could see him!

I gave him the bath last night and when I woke up this morning he had left a poop in his cage so it worked! I tried feeding him a worm but I didn't have much time so I'll be trying to feed him again when I get home. Thanks for the advice

Pacman frogs will also shift around the contents of their stomach after eating. Also when they are shedding they can make some wierd looking movements.

Thread Information