Thread: Ornates?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Ornates?

Is there any differences in care between cranwelli and ornates? I can't remember.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Ornates?

Quote Originally Posted by brillobee View Post
    Is there any differences in care between cranwelli and ornates? I can't remember.
    Basically fhe same care. The only difference is that Ornates like a little cooler temps. Around 78°F.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Maybe I should get ornates then. Room temperature in my apartment with the season change is around 68F at night. I have trouble getting over 76F during the day with my dimmer at the top using a 50w white basking bulb. Problem is my pet store has absolutely no control of what pacman they get in. And they are not a huge seller here and only get one in at a time. The other pet store sometimes gets two but they do not feed as well in my own experiences. With Jungle Pets (the first place), they got once a nice green one with speckles of brown and once a cute little albino. They sell a lot of exotic and I see some giant centipedes (Black Tiger, Yellow Tiger and red Tiger) in there now and some big eyed tree frogs that are cute but no pacman. So I was considering Yusuke from Samurai again. The problem is risk vs cost. I can get them through Jim in Alberta who buys them off of him and pay as low as $115 for shipping (which for Canada is cheap) . He said he is going to try and breed super red pacman in the next 2-3 months. I'm worried these will be as health vulnerable as the samurai seem to be. My blue samurai wouldn't eat on his own, and I read online that others had problems with the blues.

Nationality
    [Canada]

well... i could say some here... but i won't.

115$ shipping is not cheap, i pay 60-80$ air cargo, 100ish -reptile express.

look into suppliers in Ontario, port credit, some others, they have a bigger selection there and everyone can ship. Kelley from Edmonton had an awesome frogs at the last show few weeks ago, he might have few left or you can just drive across the border and get whoever you want considering risk factors it is less risk if you get directly from a breeder, but that involve driving, depending how far from a border you are it might be too far.

you need infrared lamp, not white basking.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

infrared for winter or you mean all year around? Is that the general consensus? ty

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    infrared for winter or you mean all year around? Is that the general consensus? ty
    It's not a question of consensus; but one of logic after thinking of the frog's nocturnal cycle and your room environment. Pacmans are nocturnal so they do not need a basking light or any daylight for that matter. They do have a warm temperature need and you have to provide that. Red bulbs or ceramic (no light) heat emitters can be kept on 24 hours a day. With a thermostat you can regulate them and even create a small temperature gradient at night .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

8. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I will add that the only need for a daylight bulb is for a day/night cycle when the room the frog is in does not recieve enough natural light. They MUST have a 12 hour day/night cycle.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I will add that the only need for a daylight bulb is for a day/night cycle when the room the frog is in does not recieve enough natural light. They MUST have a 12 hour day/night cycle.
    Thanks, keep forgetting about this because all rooms at home have windows .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information