Thread: Could my pacman be Hibernating? & what do I do?

Hypno

Question Could my pacman be Hibernating? & what do I do?

A few months ago we heard a noise that sounded like a puppy. My boyfriend and I disagreed on where is was coming from I thought outside, he thought inside, I searched for this puppy and was going to find it, play with it lol then find a nice home bc i have to many lol... so after 2 wks of us trying to find it and who is right game.. i got up one morning sat down to enjoy my animals they have the run of the dinning room ..lol we have no kids so no dinning room table.. just huge fish tank, 3 gallon beta tank. 2 rats.. 2 dogs. 1 snake and HYPNO my pacman frog.. We did have a very old spider but she passed away sadly. But anyway turns out Hypno was the one barking all that time, it makes a good story... and conversation starter lol... after that I had told a lady at petco about it and she suggested I keep plenty of soil in the tank bc she said Hypno might go into hibernation and it was normal but she had to go do her work and didn't have time to come back and tell me more and i had crickets and fish to get home, I been researching I guess thats why I am here .you cant find much on it.... So now 2 months later almost and Hypno has been eating and not doing a bowel, so today I took her out cleaned her tank even though it was time for it again I figured why not... she shed while in bath , i put her back in tank and turn light on for a bit to help keep her warm... she decided after a few hrs to go potty, i was relieved then but my bf said she has buried herself, i jumped up and went straight to her.. we just heard her but idk if i should uncover her , or let her be... i did put her daily crickets in there... so anyone got any ideas ? and if she is trying to go into hibernation... what do i do then to care for her and how long with this last... ??? thanks for reading and answering... really dont want to loose her...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mpmackenna

Default Re: Could my pacman be Hibernating? & what do I do?

It's not hibernation is is aestivation. It is somewhat different from hibernation. Here ia basic description.. Aestivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I am not all that knowledgeable on the subject but I believe usually it takes place due to a drop in humidity. Are you maintaining 80% humidity in your tank? I know many amphib keepers allow it and say it leads to no ill effects. Some say the frog may live longer if you create an environment for aestivation once a year. In the wild it is seasonal and to deal with the dry season in their native habitat necessary for survival. It is ended by the wet season which is when they breed. Breeders create that environment because I guess frogs won't breed unless they are coming out of aestivation. I would check your humidity levels and not stress about it a whole lot. I would also remove prey items if your frog is buried. They will only stress the frog if it is not interested in feeding.
    This is an active forum and the best place I have found for accurate information on amphibians. Many of the members are quite knowledgeable and one of them will no doubt be by to clarify the situation. You should also copy and paste the enclosure problem questions at the top of this forum in the sticky post in to your post and answer all the questions as they will no doubt want that information before they will be able to elaborate.

Welcome to the Forum.

Mike

After a week or so of not pooping you should give the frog a soak in 80 degree treated water. If your frog stresses easily you can gently place your frog in its water dish. This will encourage your frog to poop. As for aestivation, as long as your temps and humidity are correct your frog should not aestivate. Now with winter approaching your frog might naturally slow down. Your frog dug down because that's what pacman frogs like to do. Make sure you have just enough eco earth so that the frog can completely cover himself, but not deep enough where he can reallt dig down. Just leave the frog be, it will come up when its hungry.

Thread Information