Thread: I'm looking for a new pet

azwethinkweiz

Question I'm looking for a new pet

Hello everyone .....my name is jenn i'm new to the forum. i have owned reptiles in the past and its been at least four years since i've had a pet. my first choice was to buy a chameleon i've wanted one for years now but don't really have the space to keep a larger enclosure so i think i've made up my mind and i'm going to get a frog instead.

the frogs that caught my eye originally were the whites tree frogs...and i have heard they are really easy to keep. being that i'm a beginner at this amphibian thing i figure they would be a safe and cheap bet to make. lately though i've had my eyes on monkey tree frogs. they just look awesome.

i love the waxy monkey tree frog but i was in exotic pets here in las vegas and i saw this razor back monkey frog and fell in love immediately. he's so litle if any frog seemed to meet and my personality its gotta be them.

so now that i'm totally smitten with my stoney eyed little leg movers i have to find some care info on these guys. i need advice on pretty much everything.....food shelter humidity and temp control. and any other round about advice you can give like if there are vitamin or food supplements i can give them extra to help keep them healthy. if they do better with another froggy companion by their side.
    i'm sure all these questions sounds stupid and immature but i have not had the best luck finding care info on these guys.

if any of you have owned waxy and razor backs and have any observations on differences in behavior and ease of care it would be helpful for when i make my final decision. I was also wondering how loud they get or what they sound like ....any little quirky info will help.

my biggest concern is that i live in las vegas where humidity is extremely low and heat is extremely hi. any advice is greatly appreciated.i'm exited to be part of the group hope to hear from you all ! -jenn-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Paul Rust

Default Re: I'm looking for a new pet

Well hello Jenn and welcome aboard. Quite the intro. There are no stupid questions here and many people will come to your aid. As far as immature goes, John probably thinks twice everyday about signing some of us on lol. Anyway, enjoy the site and I will let someone who has owned these species take it from here.

Kurt

Default Re: I'm looking for a new pet

I don't keep this species and frankly I don't know any one who does. Some Phyllomedusa do pretty good in drier conditions, sauvagii and azurea come to mind. However, Phyllomedusa vaillantii is from more humid conditions. I would assume its care is very similar to Aglaychnis callidryas, the red-eyed leaf frog. That being said, there is a link on the left hand side of the for a care article on red-eyes.

Thread Information