Thread: Magnaturals ledge

jtay

Default Magnaturals ledge

Hi all,
    So I just received a Magnaturals Rock Ledge - Granite - Small which I have been looking forward to.
    Upon closer inspection it appears to be very hydrophobic and has fine grit which comes off it. I have sore hot fingers after trying to remove all the loose grit. Also it's a tad 'oily' or has some other residue on the surface - perhaps linked with the hydrophobic quality.
    On their website (Pet Tech) it says that they are safe for amphibians, non toxic, etc, but I am not too sure.
    Has anyone used or is currently using any of these ledge products?

Jess

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Magnaturals ledge

Boy, I don't know what to tell you Jess. When you mentioned getting one in our group I was going to look into it too. Can you get all the stuff off of it? Maybe you could boil it to remove any oils and the rest of the grit. The website does say safe for amphibians.

jtay

Hi Paul, Its says on product description that it is ' Perfect for all reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates up to 1 pound!'
    To me that means that it is appropriate and therefore considered safe (surely something that is perfect is safe?). My interpretation sorry.
    I think the grit is actually the polystyrene (?) and coating that just comes off, and that it may continue to do that - I washed it and fine bits still come off. I will wash it again though.

jtay

Maybe I am being too cautious - its not that bad - some grit comes off, but only if you rub it, probably more than what my frogs would cause. I'm not sure about the residue either - it is rather faint. It's meant to be non toxic too. I don't know . I was hoping that someone else had used them with no issues or ill effects.
    I will do more research - perhaps send the manufacturer an email.

jtay

I emailed Pet Tech - they said:

Hello Jessica,

It is 100% safe and the residue is a food based mold release and will come off with a mild soap and water washing or it will dissipate over time. It has been used in amphibian enclosures in zoos to aquariums across the US and is popular with many frog enthusiasts.

Give it a good washing with a mild soap and it will be perfect.

Contact me with any other questions or concerns.

Best regards

So it should be sweet, yay!

Julia

I use these ledges with Whites Tree Frogs, Bearded Dragons, Leopard Geckos, and a Basilisk. I have had them for almost a year now and have had 0 problems. My animals spend 99% of their time on their ledges.

jtay

Hi Julia, I'm glad to hear that - I've been worrying for nothing lol!
    I got it because I can just imagine my frogs loving it!
    Thanks

Skulldroog

I have a ledge in my white's tank, it's a hard styrofoam that collects water very well. My larger of my white's spends almost 100% of his time on that ledge, besides when he's hunting for crickets when it's feasting time.

If the website says it's indeed safe, I'd say go for it. The feedback from Julia is pretty inspiring as well. Go for it!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    I use these ledges with Whites Tree Frogs, Bearded Dragons, Leopard Geckos, and a Basilisk. I have had them for almost a year now and have had 0 problems. My animals spend 99% of their time on their ledges.
    Cool, thanks for answering the question Julia. guess I'll go for some also. Better safe than sorry huh Jess?

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    ... Better safe than sorry huh Jess?
    Yeah fully!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Offering another testimonial, I have a magnatural also. It's the one that will also hold a 4 inch potted plant. I have a philodendron in it and have had it almost one year. My 4 green tree frogs have been on it and in it during that time with no ill effects. I think they're great!

I've gotten two more - a ledge and another plant holder - and have put them in my latest setup in my new 35 gal hex. Unfortunately, I've yet to get any residents for that setup, but eventually of course I will.

Thread Information