Thread: New owner of a FBT, setting up habitat in the next few days[Suggestions/Advice]

brandonausbon

Default New owner of a FBT, setting up habitat in the next few days[Suggestions/Advice]

Hey to everyone, I am a new member and first time owner of a FBT. My wife and I were in our local petsupermarket last night and were looking around and found this really cool looking frog with a green back and red/black belly. We had never seen one, and honestly never thought about owning a frog but we had been wanting a different kind of pet (we have two dogs and have had some fish) we got a steal on him as well $7.99 for the FBT with a small habitat and dozen baby crickets. We said the first thing we wanted to do was upgrade the habitat to something nicer and larger. We are looking at buying a 10 Gallon tank and are wondering what suggestions people might have for the layout. I have read somethings on here and liked the idea of a waterfall, saw what looked to be floating rock areas. I want something that will look natural but also be pleasing to the eye and bring out his coloring. If you can't tell already we are completely new to this and getting him was kind of a spur of the moment thing. We couldn't pass him up, to good of a deal and he looked so freaking cool. Anyways thanks in advance for the advice, any advice regarding any facet of frogs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New owner of a FBT, setting up habitat in the next few days[Suggestions/Advice]

Hi there. We have a FBT care sheet on our website at this link Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives This will provide basic care and info on your new pet!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

4. This member thanks Bombina Bob for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New owner of a FBT, setting up habitat in the next few days[Suggestions/Advice]

Hello and welcome to FF! FBTs like set-ups with both wet and dry areas. A 10 gal. is fine; recommend read this article and look at this thread to get an idea of what is involved. Remember to use a good water dechlorinator (Seachem Prime is fine), size insects same as distance between frogs eyes to avoid impaction, and use supplemental dusting of CA/D3 and vitamins. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information