Thread: Weird issue with trying to eat but not...

reptileszz

Default Weird issue with trying to eat but not...

Hi all, has anyone had this problem? My albino that I got in Daytona in August seems to have an issue with grabbing food. He is TERRIBLE at it. It is mad frustrating. I stand there with the worm dangling and he grabs the tongs or the air like 5 or 6 times and then gives up and stops lunging at all. This is so maddening. He is barely getting any food into him and is a similar size to when I got him 2 months ago. When I try and feed worms now I am cutting them way bigger so if he actually grabs it at least he gets a significant amount of food. We went thru issues at first with not dechlorinating and he was eating ok but has always had this problem. I dont have hours to sit with him to get him to eat so he I give up at some point.

I had had some luck getting him to eat small roaches and pieces of nightcrawler. I tried leaving crickets in there over night for 2 nights this week and none of them were gone in the morning so obviously he doesnt like them at all.

Temps are good. Humidity is good. I wonder if I should try putting him in something even smaller with just wet paper towels? That is how they had him when I got him and that is how the breeder I just got a new fantasy frog keeps his (another story. that one is eating and is kept on wet paper towels.

I think I might have answered my own question. I think I will put him in something smaller on paper towels and see what happens. (His current set up is eco earth in a short plastic container that is about 18"x12".

Thank you,
    Carole

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pheathers

Default Re: Weird issue with trying to eat but not...

My pac and 2 pyxies are terrible at grabbing food too. It's a wonder they survive in the wild. I find they're more accurate when they're really hungry.

Some frogs are not good aimers. How big is your frog agian? Are they using thier tongues when going for the food?

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine is the same way. If you hold the worm horizontally (so that the head or tail of the worm is actually pointing at the frog's face) that makes it easier to grab. Also, I hold it probably an inch up on the tongs, not at the tips, with the tips angled away from the frog's head. That way she doesn't accidentally get the tongs in her mouth.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by Pheathers View Post
    My pac and 2 pyxies are terrible at grabbing food too. It's a wonder they survive in the wild. I find they're more accurate when they're really hungry.
    Ok good. Misery lives company. So I was seeing up a shoebox size container and tried to feed him a worm and he ate it on the first try lol. It was huge cause I figured I only had one chance. So he is still in the same container.
    thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by reptileszz View Post
    Ok good. Misery lives company. So I was seeing up a shoebox size container and tried to feed him a worm and he ate it on the first try lol. It was huge cause I figured I only had one chance. So he is still in the same container.
    thanks!
    Make a loop with fhe worm and offer it horizontally so the frog can bite the loop.

Thread Information