Thread: Turtle and Tortoise Eggs - Knowing When She is Ready to Lay

findiviglio

Default Turtle and Tortoise Eggs - Knowing When She is Ready to Lay

Hi All,
    In the course of my work, I am often contacted by turtle owners whose pets cease feeding and become unusually restless. The behavior appears suddenly, sometimes after many uneventful years – a Common Musk Turtle did so after 22 years in my collection – and seems to have no external cause. A normally placid turtle may begin frantically paddling or wandering about, trying to climb the sides of the terrarium and escape. Food, once the focus of the creature’s existence, is ignored.

Some are surprised to learn that turtle and tortoise eggs may develop even if the female has never mated, and that mated animals may retain sperm and produce fertile eggs years later. Unfortunately, gravid (egg-bearing) turtles can be very choosy when it comes to nesting sites…a ½ acre exhibit failed to satisfy some I’ve cared for at the Bronx Zoo! If the eggs are not deposited, blockages due to over-calcification and life-threatening infections invariably result. Fortunately, there are ways to “convince” your pet to lay her eggs; failing this, several effective veterinary options are available. Read the rest of this article here Turtle and Tortoise Eggs - Knowing When She is Ready to Lay

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Turtle and Tortoise Eggs - Knowing When She is Ready to Lay

Thanks for the read, I am interested in getting a turtle in the near future so this is very helpful to know
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

findiviglio

Default Re: Turtle and Tortoise Eggs - Knowing When She is Ready to Lay

Quote Originally Posted by Striped marsh View Post
    Thanks for the read, I am interested in getting a turtle in the near future so this is very helpful to know
    Thanks for the kind words, Jared...Let me know if you need anything...details vary among different species, enjoy, Frank

Thread Information