Thread: Colorado River Toad (Bufo Alvarius) Story

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Colorado River Toad (Bufo Alvarius) Story

Bump, anyone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Colorado River Toad (Bufo Alvarius) Story

I have kept alvarius toads for 10 years now. Mouth open not normal except when shedding they open and close their mouths. Not being a vet I can't really help you but I feel your pain.

If it was me I would make sure water bowl was deep enough for toad to fully submerge (to make sure it's not dehydrated or have dry skin on top of head, around mouth etc). I would raise the temp to between 80 and 83 to get it's metabolism going faster for better feeding and healing (if there is something wrong) and reassess. You can still give a temp gradient but make sure there is a nice 85 basking spot somewhere. These toads like it toasty most of the time.

Alvarius toads do not have to hibernate in captivity to be healthy. None of mine have ever been cooled and they stay healthy. I say this not to criticize (hibernating is fine too) but to point out that heating him up might well be the thing to do to get him to eat more. If you heat him up maybe he eats more. If he fully immerses maybe his next shed will work better and fix something.

Are his nostrils clear? Any chance substrate has blocked his nasal openings or crusted his lips etc? This is another good thing about the toads being able to go underwater as well. I've seen them blow some bubbles when they submerge. They are pretty much self-cleaning if they can have a nice swim.

That's all I got... Best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information