Thread: Hibernating?

TaylorS

Question Hibernating?

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and new to owning amphibians.
    My daughters grandpa gifted her 3 baby American toads while I was out of town on a business trip.... Needless to say, she was attached by the time I returned so we have decided to make them permanent members of our family. We have had them for about 2 months and we've got them set up with a nice little home (coconut fibre substrate, water dish, several hides) and they seem to be doing well.
    However I have not seen them at all lately. I know they burrow, but normally I can see their little heads poking out and I literally cannot find them! I have been continuing to give fresh water and I put food in for them a couple days ago and one did come out and eat. But other than that it's been almost 2 weeks since I've seen them. There are still crickets left from 2 days ago in the tank.
    Theres really no chance that they escaped, so I'm assuming they are hibernating? Is that normal in captivity? they really disappeared right when it started getting dark noticeably earlier.
    If the consensus is that they are hibernating, what do I do now? I can't find much info about caring for them while in hibernation. Do I still need to put fresh water in and offer food periodically? Or just wait? It's really not that cold in our house... We haven't got the heat on yet so it's been dropping to about 64 inside at night but stays about 70-72 during the day. Will their bodies actually go into hibernation mode if it's not cold enough?
    also they have about 2-4in of substrate in the tank, depending on which end they're at... Is that good enough for them if they're hibernating?

Thanks in advance for any help!,
    -worried toad mom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hibernating?

Temps are perfect for toads, they don't like it real warm. During the winter a few of mine (Fowlers & Southern) go down for weeks, sometimes months on end, and then they just pop up, get something to eat, soak, poop, then head back down. I had two that went down for 7 months!! I change the water daily, and always have food available just in case they come up. Also here's a good link that might help you out. Amphibian Care >> American Toad (Bufo americanus) Care I would love to see you post some pics of the little ones.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

4. This member thanks kueluck for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hibernating?

Hello and welcome to FF Taylor ! Gail got your questions covered well. Would not leave crickets in enclosure with Toads for more than 24 hours. Their food value becomes diminished as their body processes what they ate and if the crickets become hungry, could bite exposed body parts of Toads.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Thread Information