Thread: Aloe

Default Aloe

I just read that aloe conditioner is bad. I have been using flukers conditioner for Jamie ever since i got her. Is that bad.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Default Re: Aloe

You will have to be a bit more specific and write out a full name, when I look up aloe conditioner, I find aloe vera conditioner and that's stuff you rub on your face, or in my case, my ears.
    I've also looked up Flukers conditioner, if you mean Flukers Dechlorinator Water Conditioner, that should be safe to use. I've read through the description of the product and it seems to offer what we require for our water to be treated.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yep, it is hard to say without seeing actual product, please clarify what you have that you don't think is safe to use.

any water conditioner that is safe for fish is safe for frogs, I currently use prime.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Default Aloe

I'm sorry I meant water dechloritnator

Hypnotic

That din'd tell us much and I still had to google it. And why din'd you mention it was the same brand? Both Flukers.. Eitherway, Flukers Reptile Water Dechlorinator with Aloe is as the name says, ment for reptiles.

Default Aloe

It's flukers dechloritnator, instant water conditioner, with aloe

Nationality
    [Canada]

Dechlorinator

is that what you have? It is fine to use, didn't get where did you read it is not safe?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Default Aloe

Oh I saw on one of mentats posts.

I've been using that stuff for months and hasn't caused a problem. I keep my measurements on how much I use per gallon spot on too though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    Oh I saw on one of mentats posts.
    As an experienced aquarist I do not use or recommend any water conditioners that go beyond a basic dechlorinator like Seachem. Also, believe that to coat our frogs in aloe and chemical binders is unnatural.

A few decades ago some manufacturers started adding other things to their dechlorinators to make them "better." That included Aloe and many of us started using it. Either the Aloe or the binders (or a combo of both) would stick to fish and other organic stuff. The first observation was that the pores in sintered glass filtering media (i.e. Seachem's Matrix) would get clogged in a few months making it useless to maintain a large bacteria colony and needed replacement because you could not remove the coating off with a tank water rinse . On comparison; I've got filter media that is over 3 years old with thriving colonies and only gets a weekly rinsing in tank water during a water change .

The second issue myself and others witnessed, was an interference with water treatments and medications . At first it was observational facts, but then some products started including warnings they were incompatible with aloe water conditioners . Now, understand these issues affected aquariums; but frogs are even more sensitive to chemicals than the basic fish (some scaleless fish and invertebrates are very sensitive too). Also, frogs intake oxygen and water through their skin, which makes me wonder and deduce what long terms effects will the use of aloe and it's binders have on them. Do be aware that at the same time, other aquarium keepers swear by these products .

Do I have scientific data... no. Am I going to expose my frogs to something I know by experience to bring issues to aquariums filters, water and fish... nope!

And while in the subject of dechlorinators, last year we had a new line of products calling themselves natural dechlorinators. They are based on Vitamin C and after reading the label went like "oh, natural organic stuff is good" and bought a 16 oz. bottle of product "SuperBac All Natural Dechlorinator". The product worked as advised and neutralized the chloramines in tap (have a CL test kit on hand) but it did something else my fish did not like. I have large fish and their water changes are 15-20% and just that, had them acting "funny" or stressed . With one it was severe enough to require an immediate water change (using Prime this time) to dilute product. Interestingly the product label states "it replaces slime coat to reduce stress." I did email the manufacturer (NatureBac) describing issue and got a quick response from admin type stating would pass my email to lab techs and have them contact me. It's been over a year and I'm still waiting for their response . The whole bottle went into thrash and I would not recommend using vitamin C dechlorinators with fish, frogs or any water system either .

Organisms have natural immunity and defense systems. IMO we should not interfere with that, unless a pathogen has overwhelmed the systems .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

12. 3 members thank Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Being not a fish keeper, well had them at some point..... Anyhow I would take experience as scientific proof, everything scientific when it comes to exotics usually takes time, a lot of it. And when in comes to frogs..... And me..... Lol If there's a slightest risk chance I better not to take it.
    Thank you Carlos, once again, prime is a way to go, cheapest and works the best!

Thank you for sharing this!

14. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Makes sense to me. I'm no risk taker. Ill switch over this weekend just incase.

Thread Information