Thread: Found an injured toad...now what?

kjsab

Default Found an injured toad...now what?

Hello and thanks in advance for any help / suggestions.

One of my dogs caught a toad in the yard 5 days ago and it has a puncture wound the size of the head of a Q-tip behind its right eye. I brought the toad inside and treated the wound with some Neosporin 2 days ago. I've now noticed that the toad's stomach is bloated on the right side (same side as puncture).

I'm now concerned that the neosporin may have sealed some bacteria inside the wound, which caused the swelling. I've removed the neosporin 'plug' gently w/ an eyedropper and flushed the wound with warm spring water.

I don't want to keep this guy long term, but I'd like to give him a second chance and release him if he stabilizes. I don't have the funds for a vet visit, so was hoping someone out there might have some good advice to get him on the road to recovery.

I'm keeping him in a small container with mulch from my yard, which I mist a couple of times a day. I've also got a light on him most of the day for warmth and a towel covering the container to make him feel safer. I've put a few mealworms inside the container, but he has yet to eat. He did have one VERY large bowel movement 3 days ago, but nothing since then.

I'm open to any ideas to help this little guy along.

Thanks again!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Found an injured toad...now what?

Mulch if ingested could be very bad for him; is there a spot where you could collect some untreated soil? Enough so he can burrow...
    Other than that bit, I don't know. Regular neosporin is probably the best bet for his wound, but flushing it seems like a sound idea.
    Hope someone chimes in. Kinda worried he already ate a piece of mulch and that's what the swelling is about, but again I don't know how to proceed from there.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

kjsab

Thanks, Crystal. Yes, I can dig a little deeper in the yard for some plain soil vs the mulch. I forgot to mention that his back, right leg doesn't appear to be working properly (he keeps it extended sometimes vs pulled in to his body), so he's really not moving much or even trying to burrow. I will definitely trade the mulch out for some soil. It seems strange though, that the bloating is localized to the right side of his body vs uniformly on both sides. Has anyone out there ever experienced something similar?

Nationality
    [United States]

This thread needs to be bumped...
    If you gently touch the bloated side, do you feel anything? It does seem very strange to be localized on that side only. If he's not eating, maybe try a honey bath- in a tupperware with holes poked from inside, fill to about his neck with warm treated water, rain water, or i guess bottled if you have nothing else. A few globs of honey, and let him sit n there for 15min tops. He'll probably freak, but a dish towel over it might help to calm him and maybe work out anything that might be stopping him up. follow with regular warm water soak to rinse him off. I do this for my toads once in a while and usually get big poops out of it.
    Also there's a pedialyte soak but i haven't done that, tho i believe it's 1part unflavored pedialyte to 10 parts water. Read this could give him an energy boost if he's lethargic, which it sounds like he is...
    Besides or along with these things, the plain neosporin on wound is all I can think to do. Does puncture look any better? Q-tip sized hole on a toad sounds massive.
    And is your dog ok?
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

kjsab

Thank you so much for the additional info. I'm still not sure which of my 2 dogs brought the toad up onto the porch, but both of them appear to be fine in every way, so I'm not worried there. The puncture does appear to be getting better. The swelling has gone down considerably in that area, so I'm hopeful that he's on his way to recovery. I just received some really good news, and a local nature center that cares for amphibians has agreed to take this little guy. They have an educational facility for one of the local school districts so even if he's unsuitable for release, they have agreed to let him live with their other toads. YAY!

So I'm not going to proceed with any additional treatment on my own at this point. He still hasn't eaten or pooped after the first big one, but I'm hoping that the nature center can pick up from here and give him the care he needs (fingers crossed!).

Thanks again for your help...I hit many dead ends with this one. It appears that the world is full of rehabilitators and conservators for all other animal species, but I found a definite gap with this one. I'm really happy to have found a local resource!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I cannot state enough how awesome that is. Over the summer I could not get help for an orphaned newborn bat, tho I called every number I could find. He passed in his sleep, and I was heartbroken.
    I know they're out there, people who can help, and I'm buoyed by your success in getting help for little Dog Bite. (Yeah, I named him.)
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, guess found this one a day too late; but do hope the nature center can bring his health back. Glad your dogs did not get hurt by toads toxins either .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Found an injured toad...now what?

Sorry I missed your post also. I'm glad to hear they will take him for you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information