Thread: Aggressive ACFs

George13

Default Aggressive ACFs

Hey all! I used to have my three ACFs in a 20 gallon long tank. They tended to bite each other frequently and they would not let go quickly. I noticed that two of the frogs had tears in the webbing of their feet and it was not healing. Just to make sure it wasn't the tank decorations, I moved them into another 20 gallon long without decorations and the tears continued to get worse. I split the frogs up (two in one 20 long with a divider between them and the other alone in a 10 gallon) and they healed up fine. They have been split up this way for several months now but I wasn't expecting to have two tanks and they are taking up much more room than I had planned. I removed the divider between the two frogs in the 20 gallon long tank today and the first thing that happens is one frog bites the arm of the other and does not let go. I had to get in there with the water siphon to split them up. So, of course, I replaced the divider and they are still split up. Is there anything I can do that might make them get along with one another so that all three could live happily together back in the same tank? Has this ever happened to anyone before?

If it helps, I have one male (seems like a runt) alone in the 10 gallon, one aggressive male, and one slightly aggressive female which are in the divided 20 long. They are all a little over a year old. Thanks for any help or advice!

-George

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Aggressive ACFs

I cannot say I have ever seen aggression in african clawed frogs.

They do tend to bite first and ask questions later when feeding is concerned. I have seen my frogs accidentally bite one another when being fed but it's never been malicious and never seen an injury from it. They have no teeth, so they can't really damage anything with their bite.

As far as damage to their webbing, that seems common, every frog I've kept so far has managed to damage their webbing somehow. I had one just rip his webbing in a tank with a single ceramic log (no sharp edges) and a small fluval internal filter.. how I do not know but it always seem to happen at least once a year. The webbing does seem to fully heal slowly but it does heal after a month or two.

George13

Default Re: Aggressive ACFs

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I cannot say I have ever seen aggression in african clawed frogs.

They do tend to bite first and ask questions later when feeding is concerned. I have seen my frogs accidentally bite one another when being fed but it's never been malicious and never seen an injury from it. They have no teeth, so they can't really damage anything with their bite.

As far as damage to their webbing, that seems common, every frog I've kept so far has managed to damage their webbing somehow. I had one just rip his webbing in a tank with a single ceramic log (no sharp edges) and a small fluval internal filter.. how I do not know but it always seem to happen at least once a year. The webbing does seem to fully heal slowly but it does heal after a month or two.
    Thanks for the response! I know they have no teeth but it scares me when one bites the other and latches on like that. They seem fine afterwards though. I might try to put the small male with the female and see if they can get along next week.

Thread Information