Thread: Question about poop colour

Hypnotic

Default Question about poop colour

One of my frogs seem to be pooping white with blue coloured. The frog eats and poops normally, behaviour and setup is as it should be, diet consists of mainly redrunners (cockroachers) and crickets.
    I'm really stumped. The only thing blue they come in contact with is reptisafe, my water dechlorinator, and I dilute it just right. (14 drops per 1.5 liters)
    Also, if this was the case, my other frogs should be pooping white and blue aswell.
    The poop is always solid, it disintegrated when I tryed to pick it up.

Edit: I do dust a little on the heavy side, and since the frog is litterally glowing with health but just pooping an odd colour, could the problem be overdusting with calcium and this in turn picking up the blueish colour from the reptisafe?
    Either way, I'm going to reduce my dusting drastically and if the next poop still looks the same, I'm going to take it in for a fecal exam.
    Name:  1274951_592846104084751_642802758_o.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  102.0 KB
    Last edited by Hypnotic; September 26th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question about poop colour

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    One of my frogs seem to be pooping white with blue coloured. The frog eats and poops normally, behaviour and setup is as it should be, diet consists of mainly redrunners (cockroachers) and crickets.
    I'm really stumped. The only thing blue they come in contact with is reptisafe, my water dechlorinator, and I dilute it just right. (14 drops per 1.5 liters)
    Also, if this was the case, my other frogs should be pooping white and blue aswell.
    The poop is always solid, it disintegrated when I tryed to pick it up.

Edit: I do dust a little on the heavy side, and since the frog is litterally glowing with health but just pooping an odd colour, could the problem be overdusting with calcium and this in turn picking up the blueish colour from the reptisafe?
    Either way, I'm going to reduce my dusting drastically and if the next poop still looks the same, I'm going to take it in for a fecal exam.
    Name:  1274951_592846104084751_642802758_o.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  102.0 KB
    ReptiSafe shouldn't cause anything like that. It is most likely mucus. Never seen blue in their poop though.

Hypnotic

For that exact reason I'm thinking it's reptisafe & calcium powder. My other frogs poop have a whitish tone aswell, just not as bad as this one. So I can safely assume I'm overusing calcium, wich I'm emediately fixing.
    I'l be sure to post an update when I see improvement or have had a fecal exam done. I'm hoping it's nothing serious, but I'm not overly worried since he seems to be very healthy.
    But Grif, could too much calcium dehydrate a frog? Or could this be another symptom of something else? Since the past days I've caught him soaking more in his little pool, he usually doesn't do it that much.

Nationality
    [United States]

For that exact reason I'm thinking it's reptisafe & calcium powder. My other frogs poop have a whitish tone aswell, just not as bad as this one. So I can safely assume I'm overusing calcium, wich I'm emediately fixing.
    I'l be sure to post an update when I see improvement or have had a fecal exam done. I'm hoping it's nothing serious, but I'm not overly worried since he seems to be very healthy.
    But Grif, could too much calcium dehydrate a frog? Or could this be another symptom of something else? Since the past days I've caught him soaking more in his little pool, he usually doesn't do it that much.
    Calcium is an electrolyte so it should not dehydrate the frog. It can cause intestinal damage if overdosed on and cause edema.

Hypnotic

Allright, thanks for the advice Grif! I've actually phoned my vet today and explained my course of actions and she fully agrees. She also confirmed I should see results in the next bowel movement or bring in a sample to play safe.
    Would it be allright to skip calcium for this little guy for the next few days? Or should I stick to the minimum to play safe?

Nationality
    [United States]

Allright, thanks for the advice Grif! I've actually phoned my vet today and explained my course of actions and she fully agrees. She also confirmed I should see results in the next bowel movement or bring in a sample to play safe.
    Would it be allright to skip calcium for this little guy for the next few days? Or should I stick to the minimum to play safe?
    Should be fine. Just gutload the feeders unless they're earthworms. Then it doesn't apply.

Hypnotic

Feeders are always gutloaded! I'm just posting this little update, he missed two calcium days and his poop is back to normal today, not a spec of white or blue in sight. So I could pretty much assume it was my overdusting that caused it. I've learned a valuable lesson and will dust with heavy moderation. I'm just glad everything is back to normal and no permanent damage seems to be done.

Thread Information