Thread: Fruit fly suppliers?

Cypress

Default Fruit fly suppliers?

Ok. I made a huge mistake. I bought a fruit fly culture at my LPS. I planned to start a new culture from it, but the culture can't even keep up with my frogs that just morphed. I didn't think it was a huge deal. Just go back to the store and buy another culture, right? Wrong. LPS currently has 10 cultures. Five are completely blown. Maybe 10-30 flies left. Corpses lining the floor. Not pretty. The other five are fresh, but... the media is completely dried out. Cracked. Separated from the jars. No flies coming from there. After explaining to an employ that all of the cultures they had on the shelf were total rubbish, he offers me a 5% discount on them. I explained (again) that none of the cultures were capable of producing a single fly. He then offers me a 10% discount. I remained calm. I wanted to slap some sense into the guy. I told him that I wasn't trying to trick him into giving me a discount. All I wanted was a good culture. I asked when they would receive more. He tells me two weeks! He finally admits that the cultures they have are trash, but says it will still be two weeks. He also tells me that he's going to pull the cultures they have off the shelf. That was two days ago. I send my husband in today as my secret agent. I'm in the store regularly. So I sent him as another potential customer who isn't impressed with their stock. Not only have they not pulled these bad cultures from the shelf, they also tried to convince him that the cultures were ok. When he refused to buy, they offered him a 45% discount. When he refused, they gave him the same story. Two weeks before new arrivals. They won't special order. This is not some mom & pop operation. I won't bash them by name, but this is a national chain! Ridiculous!

Sorry. I'm finished throwing my tantrum. Now for my problem. I need flies! There are so many options out there. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with multiple vendors and could point me in the right direction. I've found places that have extremely reasonable prices on products and shipping, but can find no information on them outside of their websites. Others, I've heard of, but want ~$50 shipping to guarantee live arrival. My babies are starving! Ok. Things aren't so dire yet. But until I can find fruit flies, I'm feeding off practically all of my day old crickets. Which means, a month from now I'll have nothing to feed my adults! So, help will be greatly appreciated! The sooner, the better.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fruit fly suppliers?

Im just starting to produce fruit fly cultures at my online store...not up yet though... However to answer your question. BEST ones I have seen that last long, do not have a mite problem like I have seen in some stores, and are even reasonable price are of joshsfrogs.com. They have a special mix that they make that I have to say is the best one out there in the making. Yes you will have to pay shipping however if you buy the culture KIT and work with it. They will send you PRODUCING flys and/or FRESHLY MADE ONES. In my opinion in order do get a good culture started you need a producing two or three cultures and make SEVERAL containers of fresh fruit fly media/mix! I ran into the problem myself starting to make my own. They fed off to fast and kept running out. Best of luck!

Corey

Nationality
    [United States]

Buy Flightless Fruit Flies, Fruit Fly Cultures and Supplies I've used them twice and was very happy with the cultures.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Cypress

Thanks for responding. I've looked at Josh's. To guarantee live arrival, I'm looking at $46 shipping on two cultures. I just can't justify paying over $30 per culture. I also checked with snailtail. Prices as shipping were great. $30 total for four cultures. The only reason I haven't ordered from them is that I sent an email with a few questions days ago with no response. So, I tried using the contact form on the website. I tried submitting three times. Each time, I got a 404 error. I was sort of thinking that they might not even be in business anymore. When was the last time you ordered from them?

Cypress

Oh, also, I have never seen a show in my area. I don't think there are any. Ever. Kind of bites. I'm in the largest city within about a 120 mile radius. If I can't figure something out soon, it looks like I'll probably be making a four hour round trip in hopes that I can find a decent culture. Even then, we have two large chain pet stores here. I'm worried that because they have the same chains, and receive their flies from the same supplier, that the trip will be a bust. If we received bad cultures here, they probably did too.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Cypress,

I have purchased fruit flies and culturing material from Ron McGee at Alpha Pro Breeders.. Just search online, you'll find him. He ships quickly and I've had good luck with his products. Having been in your position, I understand your frustration. Once you get a good culture, you can begin culturing your own flies and things will be much easier. Good luck. You can do it.

Judy

Cypress

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a kit from Ron McGee. Two producing cultures and a kit for 20 more. $42 with shipping! He is soooooo fast with email responses. They should be here in a couple of days.

Thread Information