Thread: Chameleons

Default Chameleons

What is the EASIEST chameleon to care for. Would it be good for a moderate reptile keeper with moderate experience?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Chameleons

Chameleons arent nesseceraly associated with beginners but a
    good species to start with would be a veild or a panther chameleon.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Monza geckos

I'd say veiled personally if you get a nice one you can occasionally handle and all the need is a water fall with the odd mist and some insects plus they can live 10 years plus

Default Chameleons

So are mesh cages required? Or is it just a preference? I had a rather large glass cage at the moment and i feel that it can house a small chameleon and hold humidity

Nationality
    [Canada]

Mesh cages are needed for most chameleons, here's a good website for the care of chameleons
    and different species Chameleon Forums - CCR - Chameleons
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

arielgasca420

I havent had too much success with chameleons personally. I dont know if it was me or the store I bought it from, but the store later told me it was an unhealthy clutch. The hardiest of chameleons are veiled. The reason people like panthers is because they have a calmer temper and have beautiful colors. baby panthers can start from $200(which is a cheap price) so veiled would be the best start since they start at $80.
    From my experience you want to get one that is a juvenile. roughly 6 months old is a good start. Chameleons do not like to be held all the time and can only be held on a daily basis for 15-30 mins at a time. they get stressed out easily so it is best to keep handling few but consistent so the chameleon will not become stubborn and unruly.
    If you ignore them often then you run the risk of a chameleon that will try to bite you every time you try to pick them up.
    they can also get stressed from loud noises or people constantly going in and out of rooms so it is a good idea to keep your critter in an isolated and quiet place in the house.
    live plants can be great for the vivarium, but you run the risk of parasites, fungus, and bacteria, and oxalate crystal intake so it may be easiest to get plastic plants that can be disinfected.
    a tip for chameleons is to not leave standing water in the mesh cage. this can cause respiratory infections and does not create humidity control.
    automatic Misters are key, but it is difficult to mist with a mesh cage because the water tends to bead up and create a pool of water at the bottom of the cage. chameleons lap water from plant leaves so the misting 2-3 times a day will provide them with drinking water and 80% humidity.
    I think thats all the advice I can give for novices but if you have anymore questions then you can shoot me a PM
    chameleons are great but they can be high maintenance animals which is why I chose to discontinue them as pets.

Default Chameleons

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    I havent had too much success with chameleons personally. I dont know if it was me or the store I bought it from, but the store later told me it was an unhealthy clutch. The hardiest of chameleons are veiled. The reason people like panthers is because they have a calmer temper and have beautiful colors. baby panthers can start from $200(which is a cheap price) so veiled would be the best start since they start at $80.
    From my experience you want to get one that is a juvenile. roughly 6 months old is a good start. Chameleons do not like to be held all the time and can only be held on a daily basis for 15-30 mins at a time. they get stressed out easily so it is best to keep handling few but consistent so the chameleon will not become stubborn and unruly.
    If you ignore them often then you run the risk of a chameleon that will try to bite you every time you try to pick them up.
    they can also get stressed from loud noises or people constantly going in and out of rooms so it is a good idea to keep your critter in an isolated and quiet place in the house.
    live plants can be great for the vivarium, but you run the risk of parasites, fungus, and bacteria, and oxalate crystal intake so it may be easiest to get plastic plants that can be disinfected.
    a tip for chameleons is to not leave standing water in the mesh cage. this can cause respiratory infections and does not create humidity control.
    automatic Misters are key, but it is difficult to mist with a mesh cage because the water tends to bead up and create a pool of water at the bottom of the cage. chameleons lap water from plant leaves so the misting 2-3 times a day will provide them with drinking water and 80% humidity.
    I think thats all the advice I can give for novices but if you have anymore questions then you can shoot me a PM
    chameleons are great but they can be high maintenance animals which is why I chose to discontinue them as pets.
    why do they need mesh cages, and they have glass?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Chameleons need ventilation and glass cages build up stagnant air which stresses them heavily.
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

Thread Information