Thread: How often to feed an adult?

NialR35

Default How often to feed an adult?

Hey guys,

My ornate is a sub-adult male, around 3 1/2 " SVL. I noticed a while back he stopped eating every day so I was wondering how often should I feed him now? Every 3 days? twice a week? or once a week? I have been feeding so far every three days but he only eats around 3-4 whole night crawlers and he doesn't look too "enthusiastic"/hungry about it...maybe for the first two but not the last two.

Also how often should they poop on average now since they eat less frequently?

And last question, I know I should dust Ca+D3 and the multivitamin around once a week for adults, so is it okay if let's say he eats twice per week, to just do supplements on those two days alone?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How often to feed an adult?

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Hey guys,

My ornate is a sub-adult male, around 3 1/2 " SVL. I noticed a while back he stopped eating every day so I was wondering how often should I feed him now? Every 3 days? twice a week? or once a week? I have been feeding so far every three days but he only eats around 3-4 whole night crawlers and he doesn't look too "enthusiastic"/hungry about it...maybe for the first two but not the last two.

Also how often should they poop on average now since they eat less frequently?

And last question, I know I should dust Ca+D3 and the multivitamin around once a week for adults, so is it okay if let's say he eats twice per week, to just do supplements on those two days alone?

Thanks!
    You can feed adults small meals every other day to every 3 days and they will be fine, but always offer a bit extra just incase they want more or you can offer a couple large meals. Its up to you.

They will poop once per week or sometimes every 2 weeks depending on food intake.

You can dust one meal with calcium+D3 one feeding and Vitamins the next and the frog should be fine, but the following week you may not want to dust because if you do it this way then every meal is dusted and that is not necessary. It seems odd to dust every other week, but it will work out.

Yup I'm down to feeding Mojo twice a week, sometimes three. One feeding is calcium and one feeding is vitamins. I always offer till he doesn't want more. He usually eats just two nightcrawlers now.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's about the size when they do not need daily feeding anymore and you try every other day. If it's response is still less than normal can try 2 off/1 on; etc. When supplementing adult's food, you can also go with dusting only one cricket/worm instead of all. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

dubbean

Thanks, I was about to post the same questions about my female Zuma who is the same size. I will also try feeding every other day since she doesn't want food every day now.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can feed adults small meals every other day to every 3 days and they will be fine, but always offer a bit extra just incase they want more or you can offer a couple large meals. Its up to you.

They will poop once per week or sometimes every 2 weeks depending on food intake.

You can dust one meal with calcium+D3 one feeding and Vitamins the next and the frog should be fine, but the following week you may not want to dust because if you do it this way then every meal is dusted and that is not necessary. It seems odd to dust every other week, but it will work out.
    Thanks for all your replies guys!!

But to Grif, you are saying for adults every other week for dusting should be fine right? ?Because otherwise you will pretty much dust every feeding since they only eat every couple of days.... So then it's not mandatory to do it every week anymore like when they were younger?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys!!

But to Grif, you are saying for adults every other week for dusting should be fine right? ?Because otherwise you will pretty much dust every feeding since they only eat every couple of days.... So then it's not mandatory to do it every week anymore like when they were younger?
    Yes you can do it this way. You can also do as Carlos has suggested and only dust one or two feeders from each feeding, but some adults will only eat what they need to sustain themselves and will eat only one Night Crawler per feeding and so if this happens just follow the schedule I recomended.

I recommend keeping a feeding log too. When Mojo reached adulthood and started eating less I had a hard time remembering when and what I dusted with. I include date, day, what was eaten and how much, what what type of dust on my logs. Just a suggestion though.

Thread Information