Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant AF still not eating

Default Giant AF still not eating

Hello, I have a giant african bullfrog named Rigby. He is almost 3 and a half inches. I would estimate he is 6 months (I've been informed he's small for his age). The past week and a half rigby has not been eating like he normally does. He usually eats about 30 appropriate sized dubias every night. He ate 1 cricket a few days ago but has shown no interest in food otherwise.

Temps are 80-85 and dirt is moist but not soupy. I feed him in a separate container to avoid impaction. His substrate is eco earth. He seems to be acting pretty normal, just hiding in his water dish most of the day.

Do these frogs brumate? If so, Isn't my frog too young? And to be honest, I'm not sure the last time he went to the bathroom because I didn't think to monitor his bathroom stuff. I usually dump his water outside in the dark. Also, would a honey bath benefit him even if he isn't sick? How wuld I go about ding that?

Thank you much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eel Noob

Default Re: Giant AF still not eating

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    Hello, I have a giant african bullfrog named Rigby. He is almost 3 and a half inches. I would estimate he is 6 months (I've been informed he's small for his age). The past week and a half rigby has not been eating like he normally does. He usually eats about 30 appropriate sized dubias every night. He ate 1 cricket a few days ago but has shown no interest in food otherwise.

Temps are 80-85 and dirt is moist but not soupy. I feed him in a separate container to avoid impaction. His substrate is eco earth. He seems to be acting pretty normal, just hiding in his water dish most of the day.

Do these frogs brumate? If so, Isn't my frog too young? And to be honest, I'm not sure the last time he went to the bathroom because I didn't think to monitor his bathroom stuff. I usually dump his water outside in the dark. Also, would a honey bath benefit him even if he isn't sick? How wuld I go about ding that?

Thank you much!

At 6 months of age I would say it is a she and not a he, a male that age would be around 5-6". These frogs do not need to eat everyday or every week. Has it gone to the bathroom yet since it's last big meal?

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    At 6 months of age I would say it is a she and not a he, a male that age would be around 5-6". These frogs do not need to eat everyday or every week. Has it gone to the bathroom yet since it's last big meal?
    I know he/she/it has gone to the bathroom in the last week, but haven't payed attention to her bathroom stuff since then. Other posters said my frog looks like a boy, but maybe stunted growth. Here's a picture, what do you think? These photos are a bit older.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you much!
    try this, take him out of his cage and put him in the feeding container. then totally clean his whole home cage, disinfect any ornimental plants, decor, and water bowl(if you use one), dis infect all the tank walls, and when you put the new substrate in make sure it is moistened with warm declorinated water. then put him back in the cage. usually it only takes a couple days to know if this will work. try only feeding him every other day to every 3 days for a while. he looks fat so he can easily go without food for a while. just be calm and watch him for a while.

I actually just put him in a new and bigger enclosure. New dirt, everything was disinfected. But I used cool water for the dirt.... it should be warm enough though, I let the light warm it up before I put him in. Hopefully he'll eat soon!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

if you did that recently, that could be the reason he is not eating.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

he should start eating soon.
    put some pictures up of his nice new cage. i would love to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    if you did that recently, that could be the reason he is not eating.
    Nope, I just did that a few hours ago. His cage was WAY too small for him so I had to switch him to the bigger one, even though I know this causes stress.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    he should start eating soon.
    put some pictures up of his nice new cage. i would love to see it!
    I'll post pictures once I get more cage furniture

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Please could you answer these questions.

1. Size of enclosure?

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences?

3. Humidity?

4. Temperature?

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?

6. Materials used for substrate?

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?

8. Main food source?

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?)

10. Lighting?

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?

12. When is the last time he/she ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. How old is the frog?

16. How long have you owned him/her?

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats?

19. How often the frog is handled?

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Another question, I put him in his new enclosure last night and since then he turned to a very pale green color. Is this just from stress?

I put rigby in a new enclosure last night, prior to the eating problem.***
    1. Size of enclosure?
    32 inches long, 15 inches wide, 16 inches tall.

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences?
    Just him.

3. Humidity?
    Humidity gauge broke a few days ago, need another one.

4. Temperature?
    It was 85 in his last cage, but since I just moved him to a new enclosure last night it's staying at 81. Going to get bulbs today.

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish?
    Purified water. (I need to get dechlorinator for my tap water)

6. Materials used for substrate?
    Eco earth, dirt is moist and clumps together, but not soup-like.

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv?
    Viv was disinfected with zoo med stuff and rinsed thoroughly. There is only 2 artificial plants and a plastic water dish. (The water dish is actually a dog food bowl)

8. Main food source?
    Dubia roaches (appropriate size) and crickets occasionally. Have tried nightcrawlers and reptiworms but shows no interest.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?)
    Well, before when he was eating correctly it was vitamins once a week and calcium 2-3 times a week.

10. Lighting?
    Just his heat light

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure?
    A heat bulb from petsmart, all living things brand.

12. When is the last time he/she ate?
    A full meal, about a week and a half. He/she ate one cricket a few days ago.

13. Have you found poop lately?
    Within the last week, yes.

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    Pictures of frog are on a post above you. Will post enclosure at a later time, no way to take a picture this moment.

15. How old is the frog?
    Roughly 6 months.

16. How long have you owned him/her?
    I've had maybe about 3 months. Now, I just realized he probably isn't 6 months, but more like 4 months. He was TINY when I got him.

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?
    Captive.

18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats?
    He only eats dubias and crickets. Crickets once a week.

19. How often the frog is handled?
    Every day ONLY to put in feeding bin.

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area?
    Low.

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    Water change every day, cleaning when I feel it's dirty.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Purified water still needs to be treated with dechlorinator to remove chloramines. If you mixed shredded coco with it; will need to replace substrate ASAP.

Your Pixie has P. edulis traits to include white spot on tympani, broken dorsal ridges, distance between eye and tympani, and small size. Was it sold to you as a Giant and by whom? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Purified water still needs to be treated with dechlorinator to remove chloramines. If you mixed shredded coco with it; will need to replace substrate ASAP.

Your Pixie has P. edulis traits to include white spot on tympani, broken dorsal ridges, distance between eye and tympani, and small size. Was it sold to you as a Giant and by whom? Thank you !
    It's crystal geyser water, Is that okay? And other users told me that he/she has traits of both a giant and small pyxie frog. My frog had the blue/grey hind leg coloring when it was a baby. It was sold to me by the east bay vivarium in Berkeley CA. And yes, sold as a giant burrowing bullfrog.

Eel Noob

I know he/she/it has gone to the bathroom in the last week, but haven't payed attention to her bathroom stuff since then. Other posters said my frog looks like a boy, but maybe stunted growth. Here's a picture, what do you think? These photos are a bit older.

It is a female giant pyxie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    It is a female giant pyxie.

But you're pretty sure it's a giant? Also, I looked at my frog just now and she's doing a full body shed! Is this why she's not eating?

SCF

But you're pretty sure it's a giant? Also, I looked at my frog just now and she's doing a full body shed! Is this why she's not eating?
    I need to edit this; It could be a reason why. If it starts excessively shedding, then there is something else going on.

It is indeed a giant.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Use dechlorinated tap water. How often would you say you cleaned it's enclosure? It should be at least once a month. Some frogs don't like being moved into a separate feeding bin. Mine will only eat in his cage so maybe yours is sick of being handled everyday. I think its a giant like most have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    I need to edit this; It could be a reason why. If it starts excessively shedding, then there is something else going on.

It is indeed a giant.
    So this is not normal for my frog to shed like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Use dechlorinated tap water. How often would you say you cleaned it's enclosure? It should be at least once a month. Some frogs don't like being moved into a separate feeding bin. Mine will only eat in his cage so maybe yours is sick of being handled everyday. I think its a giant like most have mentioned.
    Purified crystal geyser is not okay water to use? I'll get dechlorinator stuff today. I clean it's enclosure probably about 2 times a month. I use dubia roaches for feeding, so they burrow into the dirt if I feed in the cage. When my frog was a baby I fed in the cage but she was eating substrate so I stopped feeding in there.

PLEASE READ***

I picked up some dechlorifing stuff from petsmart. I rinsed everything down with the dechlorified water and mixed new substrate with the water as well. I put my frog in a dish with the new water and changed it twice. She's now taking a honey bath. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Any advice or thoughts? (So crystal geyser has chlorine in it???)

Right now she is a pale green color and I'm hoping she'll return to her dark green color tomorrow.

SCF

Have you tried changing up it's diet a little? Try offering him/her a small pinkie, or hornworms always get a lot of interest from my pets. I would even try a few superworms.

NialR35

Those random change of colors could be the frog toxing out from the untreated water. I would make sure everything is treated and that you give your frog a bath with just treated water so it can rinse off and detox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information