Thread: xenopus id required

xxianxx

Default xenopus id required

I bought six of these guys from a seller in the UK. I had assumed they were going to be wild type X.laevis but they didn't look quite right, couldn't really put my finger on it but after chatting to the seller I found out that the adult males are 2.5" and the females 3" which puts them well below the size I would expect X.laevis to be. If somebody could id them for me that would be great so I can give them the optimum care. The difference in the frogs belly colouration is down to the substrate they were kept on and does change according to the seller.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: xenopus id required

I spoke with the seller of these on the Facebook group a while back. I am sure they are not Laevis. They look like Borealis to me. I asked her what the males sound like when they sing, but she never replied.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I spoke with the seller of these on the Facebook group a while back. I am sure they are not Laevis. They look like Borealis to me. I asked her what the males sound like when they sing, but she never replied.
    I'm the seller and I'm not on any Facebook groups so you must be thinking of someone else. Their call is very loud but I'm not sure if it's any different to laevis. I could upload a video/audio file?

Nationality
    [Canada]

It must have been on here then. I went back thru the FB group thinking perhaps someone used your pics, but I was wrong.
    Anyway, do the males sound like ping pong balls?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I must be hitting the crack pipe too much lately, found the other thread and it appears I never left a comment????? Had the conversation in my head??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Had the conversation in my head??
    Probably

I'm not really sure what you mean by like ping pong balls. I don't know how I'd describe the sound. It will be easier for me to just upload a video tomorrow.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Sound file of one of the frogs croaking https://soundcloud.com/user-name-11/xenopus-mating-call
    I think it's pretty much the same as X. laevis from what I've heard on youtube.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

One of the distinguishing physical characteristics of X. borealis is a prominent tentacle just below the eye (a subocular tentacle), which appears to be absent from the frogs in the photographs so I think you can discount them from being X. borealis. Also, X. borealis's call is a loud clicking noise resembling a pebble being tapped hard against the aquarium glass. Although it's true that the markings and coloration of the frogs in the photos are similar to X. borealis and X. amieti, they appear to be the wrong shape for those species, which tend to be plumper. If I were pushed to guess, and it is only a guess, I'd say that the frogs were just a variant form of X. laevis. Their diminutive size might just be the result of successive captive-bred generations. The only reliable way of finding out what they are is by trying to trace the source of the original frogs through the person or people from whom they were acquired.

The "chameleon" colour change in the frogs that Gemma raised in an earlier thread, http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...leon-acfs.html and mentioned again here, isn't that uncommon in other species of frogs and toads. Here in the UK our own common frog (Rana temporaria) can be brown, green, yellowish and various shades in between depending on its surroundings. I've also observed the skin of our common toad (Bufo bufo) change from dark to light when its surroundings have changed likewise. It's all to do with melanin and hormones. There's more info at: Pigments cells respond to hormones: African clawed frog - Ask Nature - the Biomimicry Design Portal: biomimetics, architecture, biology, innovation inspired by nature, industrial design

xxianxx

Thanks for the response

Member needs to set country!

All the show has been combined for the success of the active elements of the society. The role of the term and https://www.rushmyessays.org/ is visited for the approach of the intelligent individuals and all humans in the same vicinity for the future times.

Thread Information