Thread: Water change killed fish. What about baby green frog tadpoles?

Meryl

Default Water change killed fish. What about baby green frog tadpoles?

Hi. I just joined this forum because
    1. I really love frogs like crazy! Truly a frog nut.
    2. I have a question about whether my baby green frog tadpoles may have survived an influx of New Jersey municipal water that killed all my large comet goldfish.

Here's the story: I have a small pond with many large lily pads and goldfish. I had this setup for 20 years.
    My goal was always to attract frogs, but none showed up until two years ago, when some visiting green frogs laid eggs in my pond. Last year, I had tadpoles and 14 successful green frogs lived there all year. After winter, I had many frogs, and there were a few that stayed and laid eggs (yay), with three adults still here. My frogs are so used to me, they never jump away even when I am 2 feet away. What joy!

The bad news is that a relative's kid put bubble stuff I the pond yesterday and my husband turned in the hose to dilute it. The hose was left on for two hours!!! I found all my fish dead this morning. Very sad, but replaceable. My three frogs are still in the water, unharmed as far as I can see. We treated the water to de-chlorinate it this afternoon.

I know that the frogs eggs which were laid and hatched in July, probably resulted in many baby tadpoles. I never saw them, but assumed they stayed hidden in the muddy bottom among the lily roots. I fed my fish well all summer to give the little tadpoles a better chance.

Are they all dead in the mud? I never saw them either alive or floating? What are the chances they were not affected by new, untreated water?

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Meryl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Water change killed fish. What about baby green frog tadpoles?

Hello and welcome to FF ! Although the untreated water might have been the final blow; the bubble solution is soap and that is a fish and frog killer. You need to ensure that soap is gone from pond completely before reintroducing fish or considering it safe for frogs.

It might require draining pond and removing contaminated muck; repotting any plants in new soil (which should survive the soap); replacing filter media and any porous items in pond (wood, etc). Next refill with dechlorinated water, inoculate with bacteria; run a well rinsed quality carbon in filter for at least a week (then discard). Finally you can start restocking fish.

With luck some frogs will survive and repopulate it. Sorry for the bad news; but the kid accidentally started an ecological disaster in pond !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Meryl

Thanks for the quick reply. A few questions.
    1. I think the kid blew the bubbles onto the pond's surface (which I scooped off the surface as soon as I saw it was covered in bubbles). Was there enough soap left to require a complete clean out?
    2. If I do have to clean it out, where do I get bacteria?
    3. If I drain the pond, etc., what do I do about my three resident green frogs?
    Thanks,
    Meryl

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. A few questions.
    1. I think the kid blew the bubbles onto the pond's surface (which I scooped off the surface as soon as I saw it was covered in bubbles). Was there enough soap left to require a complete clean out?
    I'm not aware of any kits to detect soap in water and don't know your pond size. If small and the surface was covered in bubbles; my guess is that it could be enough to cause damage. Also, have no idea of how much untreated tap water was flushed into pond or the chloramines levels on it to give you a correct answer.

If you guys feel got most, if not all the soap out, then you could try this procedure as an experiment. Presuming you have a pond filter; take it out, clean it and replace all filter media with new one. If filter company has those carbon impregnated pads run one for a week and then throw it away. If not; can use any well rinsed quality carbon. API makes a product called Bio-Chem Zorb (a mix of carbons and resins) that would be good in your case. At this time would also add the product discussed in question no. 2. Another problem might surface as dead organics (any present fish fry or tads) rise the ammonia levels. Due to that, wait at least two weeks for pond to stable out. Would be good to test pH, ammonia, and nitrite levels every couple days and post results here. Once Ammonia and Nitrites hit zero (around 2 weeks or so); then can add couple healthy fish (not from feeder bins!). If they do well for a week or two; then add others. If they die... sorry but starting pond all over will be required .

2. If I do have to clean it out, where do I get bacteria?
    Normally will take 30 days for an aquarium/pond to cycle so that beneficial bacteria reduce ammonia (from fish and frog urine) into nitrites and that into less toxic nitrates which are consumed by plants or reduced by water changes. That cycle can be reduced in half or more by adding bacteria cultures (i.e. Seachem Pond Stability) which can be found in the pond section of pet stores. If none available can also use similar aquarium products available at fish stores but will probably cost more, specially if pond is big. BTW, I'm pretty sure your bacteria colonies died if not from soap, from the chloramines in tap, so this step will be necessary even if you decide not to drain pond.

3. If I drain the pond, etc., what do I do about my three resident green frogs?
    If you decide to drain pond; my recommendation would be to get a kiddie pool or similar large plastic container for your water plants and set it close to pond. Frogs will use that until you re-build their home. If plans are doing well should be OK as is and just need to replace evaporated water with dechlorinated tap. If no plants; change 25-50% water daily.

Hope this helps and recommend set a rule of no humans with soap or anything that could damage your frog ecosystem in your yard. The risk of an accident happening is real and the reparations can be a nightmare, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information