Thread: Male ADF has bump growing between legs?

kathreen

Default Male ADF has bump growing between legs?

I have a male Timmy and female Binga. I am a bit worried about Timmy, he seems to have white bump growing between his legs. He seems to be acting fine otherwise, singing, mating regularly, swimming around and sleeping. It is smaller than the rocks in the tank and I think it has been growing. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Binga is acting normal as are the tadpoles in the tank. Attempting to get a picture but failing, will post if successful later.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Male ADF has bump growing between legs?

Hi:
    Not sure what the bump could be. Could you post a photo?
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

kathreen

Name:  IMG_0941.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  69.2 KB

Unfortunately my camera battery died and I haven't replaced it yet. So this photo is the best I can do with my iTouch (I know it is terrible....but urgh I really tried.) You are looking at the back of him, if you squint you can kind of get an idea what I'm talking about.

kathreen

Name:  DSC_0046_NEF_shotwell.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  40.6 KB
    A much better photo with a much better camera. I noticed the bump yesterday (so it has been 24 hours.) Any ideas? He is still acting normal. He even ate yesterday and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Should I be worried?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Kathreen! Can see bump but can't tell from pic if it's growing on frog (possible parasite or tumor) or coming from cloaca (intestinal prolapse). Can you tell from looking at it if it appears coming from inside it's vent? Also, please answer these questions to see if something in it's tank is not right, thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. How old is the frog?

16. How long have you owned him/her?

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)?

19. Any salt in water (how much)?

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

kathreen

Hi Carlos, thanks very much for your reply. It does look like it is coming from him (I can't see the vent anymore); but he is hard to get a look at inside of it. Thanks a bunch for your "get the water checked suggestion"; I'll post the results below....but it was a wake up call. I'm a bit new to ADFs (I guess I've had them for about six months) and the last time I got the water checked it took 20 seconds (two months ago) and I was told they were fine but not given any numbers...and now it is quite a bit off when I actually got a helpful manager and numbers.

I did show the picture at Petsmart and they hadn't seen anything like it before, one did think it reminded them of when fish get parasites on their eyes (forget what it was called.) Anyways they recommended a 10-25% water change every two days and check again in a week, which will at least help the tank and maybe my frog?

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)? 10 gallons, previousily in 3 gallon. Moved to 10 to slow down temperature changes.

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish? Two adf, one female/one male. I think three really small tadpoles at various early stages.

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments? Wisconsin tap water. I leave it out for at least 24 hours before putting it into the tank.

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)? Typically 73-80. I either a) have the heater in b) have the heater out c) have the fan on or d) have the ac on. I try to keep it in 75-78, but with the weather changing it is a bit hard. Biggest clue is when they act weird, I've seen how the act at 69 and 82 and definitely try to avoid those cases.

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample. This is where it gets terribly embarassing. Ammonia 1.0 + up arrow mg/L (normal 0-0.25), Nitrite 5.0 mg/L (normal 0-0.5). Nitrage 0-20, pH 8.4 up arrow, alkalinity 300 plus up arrow mg/L (80-300), hardness 75-150 (normal 75-300), chlorine and chloramine 0

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR] I have one but not currently using. So these frogs were given as a surprise gift in a very small tank, I moved them within a week to 3 gallon and didn't have time to cycle tank. Then it got really hot and I was worried about temperature so they got moved to 10 gallon without putting in filter.

7. Substrate type? Gravel

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?
    Artifical silk plants, little cave, log, rock to hide it, terracotta pot. Rinsed and added.
    9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed? Frozen bloodworms, typically every other day. I occasionally feed HBH (once or twice a week) when either (but usually the girl) looks a bit thin or I feel like skipping the bloodworms for the day.

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)? No

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used? So it does have a light but I don't use it....I had timers but they kept breaking so I gave up on them.

12. When is the last time frog ate? Yesterday

13. Have you found poop lately? Yes, but there are two frogs and I've never seen either poop.

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. How old is the frog? Unknown, over six months (at sexual maturity)

16. How long have you owned him/her? About six months

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? Unknown

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)? No

19. Any salt in water (how much)? No

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area? I live by myself and it is next to living/family room where I spend most of my time (and where the ac is if needed.) I check temperature at least once (but typically twice a day.) They seem to enjoy it when I hang out in front of their tank and I can usually get at least one of them, but typically Timmy to come and see me when he hears my voice.

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).
    In regards to the tank, I moved to a 10 gallon about two months ago to help slow down the temperature changes. Since I moved them, I've been confused about the tank. In the three gallon tank, I had a rhythm where I would change 1/3 or so of their water every week or two (this is when the water was fine.) I didn't change the water for a few weeks since I figured it was mostly new and I wanted it to settle. Then the first time after that I changed it, the gravel just didn't seem as dirty as in the three gallon where it would be filthy when I used the gravel cleaner to suck up the water (and I thought to myself, maybe I shouldn't clean it as much?) That was probably a bad idea. I think I did a 10-20% water change twice and then I went on vacation for two weeks (and had a friend feeding them.) When I came back the water level was low so I just upped it (but didn't change the water.) I was about to this weekend (when I noticed the growth on Timmy.) I guess I need water changing guidelines.

Petsmart recommended a couple of places I could call around here for the growth, but I would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Thread Information