Thread: Can I use sphagnum moss for my PCF's?

MelissaL

Default Can I use sphagnum moss for my PCF's?

Hello! I was wondering what you all use for substrate and if any of you use sphagnum moss for Pacific Chorus Frogs?
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Can I use sphagnum moss for my PCF's?

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    Hello! I was wondering what you all use for substrate and if any of you use sphagnum moss for Pacific Chorus Frogs?
    Thanks!
    Hey. You can use sphagnum moss (I have it for White's and Centralians) but you should boil it first I hear, just in case. Then let it cool down, rinse it and add it. I only have mine in a corner for decoration mainly because it's always moist and frogs generally don't like that. Being constantly wet also leads to mould, bacteria.... I use the coir substrate you get at pet stores (brand found here is KritterCrumble). One that's made for frogs/reptiles. Then you know it's safe (no pesticides) and nothing bad happens when they accidentally eat it.

Though my brand new exo terra waterfall leaked and now the substrate is soaking wet :/.... In that regard paper towel may have been a better choice.

MelissaL

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSil View Post
    Hey. You can use sphagnum moss (I have it for White's and Centralians) but you should boil it first I hear, just in case. Then let it cool down, rinse it and add it. I only have mine in a corner for decoration mainly because it's always moist and frogs generally don't like that. Being constantly wet also leads to mould, bacteria.... I use the coir substrate you get at pet stores (brand found here is KritterCrumble). One that's made for frogs/reptiles. Then you know it's safe (no pesticides) and nothing bad happens when they accidentally eat it.

Though my brand new exo terra waterfall leaked and now the substrate is soaking wet :/.... In that regard paper towel may have been a better choice.

Thanks for your reply I put the sphagnum moss in but my frogs wouldn't have anything to do with it, so I took it out. I am thinking of trying the coco fiber. Sorry to hear about your waterfall, hope it works out!

Member needs to set country!

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    Thanks for your reply I put the sphagnum moss in but my frogs wouldn't have anything to do with it, so I took it out. I am thinking of trying the coco fiber. Sorry to hear about your waterfall, hope it works out!
    I'm getting a replacement but I have to replace the coir I literally put in two days ago >.<.

My frogs sort of avoid the area, but I've seen them use it occasionally... for pooping.

Thread Information