Thread: Right amount of time to let a frog settle

Hypnotic

Default Right amount of time to let a frog settle

I was wondering what the amount of time would be best used to let a frog settle and before starting to train it to tongfeed. I've had my cornuta for 5 days now, I realise it's probably still too early, but so far it has eaten 1 locust, and pooped twice. (tiny rabbit sized pellets)
    Also, it being a little on the skinny side, I realise this needs to be adressed.
    The frog is "disturbed" by me twice a day, in the morning I mist, clean the waterdish and pick out leftover prey, and in the evening I mist and drop in prey with tongs near it. It doesn't flinch or duck when I do this, so I assume it doesn't really care, since I'm not bothering it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Five days should be fine if he is eating good. I would start trying tongs with something the littleguy is readily eating and chasing down. Then once eating from tongs a littlebit start mixing in worms. That's how I got Gingerbread eating from tongs. Now when she sees tongs she goes crazy trying to grab whatever I'm offering, even attacks the tongs reflection in her enclosure sometimes.

Hypnotic

Default Re: Right amount of time to let a frog settle

well, he's not eating good, that's the problem. I'm a little worried since he's pooping rabbit pellets, that alone shows he's not eating well.

Ah I see. Keep offering different types of food. You can try tong feeding, it might work. Your not in the worry zone yet. Also you can start dropping a couple prey items in the enclosue at night and leaving them till morning.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do you know what seller was feeding it before? Have you offered earthworms cut from pointy end to frogs length? If frog does not eat from tongs, can drop piece in front of it and walk away from enclosure; then check after couple of minutes.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Hypnotic

I actually have been doing that, and so far only one has dissapeared. I've even manipulated the prey to be easy to catch. I suspect he just eats very little, I'm hoping it will improve in time but since he's on the skinny side, I suspect I need to retrain him to eat. I'm pretty sure he's a wild caught cornuta, and I'm not exactly going to offer other frogs as food.
    Anyway, I think I'l leave him for a week, and then start tong training, for 5-8 minutes a day and hopefully that will improve his appetite. He just seems really unflexed lol.
    Most frogs headbutt, or eat, or do something else, he just sits there, unmoved. "I don't care."

How big agian?

Ah looked at your old post. Yeah I think his eating is based on being stubborn along with settling in. He has eaten a littlebit, so I think he just needs a bit more time.

NialR35

Cornutas are all picky eaters and a pain in the butt. Start getting used to this lol.

Eventually your frog will find a feeder she prefers and that should do that trick.

11. This member thanks NialR35 for this post:

Hypnotic

Well, since 5 days was an ok time, I decided to tease him a little last night. I teased him for about 5 minutes, no response at all, he just sat there like a statue.
    BUT! When I woke up, 2 locusts were missing. I'm wondering if it was because of me teasing him or he was just hungry.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If wild caught feeding can be a challenge. Have you tried thawed frozen silversides? I read once in a sellers add for wild Cornutas they were feeding them that.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

I don't really know why but I'm kinda thinking you should try hornworms or silkworms. He should probably be more settled in within the next few days.
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

Hypnotic

Unfortunately horn worms are unobtainable for me. I haven't heard of them being sold anywhere around here, and yes I believe they would be a good feeder since they are green. Silk worms are hard to obtain, but I definately will get them next week. I don't have a reliable place to get silversides, and I'd rather work on making him eat other feeders then to bother with the risks of fish. Thanks for the advice everyone!

FriedrichsFrogs

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Five days should be fine if he is eating good. I would start trying tongs with something the littleguy is readily eating and chasing down. Then once eating from tongs a littlebit start mixing in worms. That's how I got Gingerbread eating from tongs. Now when she sees tongs she goes crazy trying to grab whatever I'm offering, even attacks the tongs reflection in her enclosure sometimes.
    lol my FBT does the same

Hypnotic

Tonight another locust went missing, so it seems his stress level is reducing, and his/her appetite increasing! Since I've found poop before, there also won't be a need to handle wich is great news, I can let him enjoy his setup and only take him out once a month to change the enclosure.

Lol cool! Glad to hear. I wonder where all those missing locusts are going.

Hypnotic

Secret locust poker game. he's eaten 2 a day for 2 days now. I suspected it was the stress that caused him to be a bad eater, he was kept in a critterkeeper 3x his size, no sides taped off, very high traffic, no room to burrow.
    Now he's in a paradise compared to that. But yeah, 4 locusts in 2 days seems like a very big improvement.

Thread Information