Thread: Mantella Care, Terrariums and Diet

findiviglio

Default Mantella Care, Terrariums and Diet

Hi All,

Often compared to the Dart Poison Frogs in size, appearance and behavior, Mantellas are among the most highly desirable of all amphibian pets. Most are spectacularly colored – so much so that I’ve often had visitors to my exhibits at the Bronx Zoo ask if they are real! Indeed, many frog enthusiasts consider the ruby morph of the Golden Mantella (M. aurantiaca) to be the world’s most beautiful frog. Several of their colors, including some of the greens and oranges, are not seen in the more popularly-kept Dart Poison Frogs.

You can expect to see many interesting behaviors from Mantella Frogs, as they are active by day, quite bold, and are always foraging, exploring, interacting and otherwise “on the go”. Once considered delicate captives, several species are now regularly bred in captivity, and we are learning more about Mantella care and fascinating natural histories (including how they acquire their famous skin toxins…please see below) each year. The following information can be applied to most available species, including Painted, Golden, Green, Brown and Saffron Mantellas. However, details vary; please post below for information concerning individual species. Read the rest of this article here Mantella Care - Keeping Madagascar Poison Frogs in the Terrarium

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

2. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Geo

Default Re: Mantella Care, Terrariums and Diet

My own immediate experience pertains to M. Betsileo specifically but having buried myself in a fair bit of research as of late I have to say that they have captured and occupied my attention in a significant fashion. I have already observed numerous behaviours and habits while I study my growing colony (x6). I hope to become experienced enough that in the near future I can attempt to breed the more endangered mantellas that are out there to help cull the wild caught related pet industry and better support the captive breeding community that is trying to flourish. Being in Canada my exposure and access to certain mantella lines is closed off or fairly restrictive as most if not all U.S. related breeders don't seem to ship to this country.

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    My own immediate experience pertains to M. Betsileo specifically but having buried myself in a fair bit of research as of late I have to say that they have captured and occupied my attention in a significant fashion. I have already observed numerous behaviours and habits while I study my growing colony (x6). I hope to become experienced enough that in the near future I can attempt to breed the more endangered mantellas that are out there to help cull the wild caught related pet industry and better support the captive breeding community that is trying to flourish. Being in Canada my exposure and access to certain mantella lines is closed off or fairly restrictive as most if not all U.S. related breeders don't seem to ship to this country.
    Thanks for your note...groups in large terrariums is the way to go, you'll see so much' please take notes we have much to learn. I didn't realize that suppliers were reluctant to ship to Canada; I don't have any useful leads offhand, but will keep you in mind, best, Frank

Thanks for sharing the link - the article was extremely interesting. I've shared it with our staff members as well.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Co, Inc - Your one stop herp shops!
    "Like" us on Facebook for coupons, sales, and updates! - http://www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    Sign up for Reptile Times, a totally FREE e-zine dedicated entirely to reptiles and amphibians!
    http://list.lllreptile.com/?p=subscribe&id=1

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by LLLReptile View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link - the article was extremely interesting. I've shared it with our staff members as well.

-Jen
    Thanks for taking the time toi write in; much appreciated. My site's search engine is not very accurate, pl let me know if you have other interests and I'll send links. best regards, Frank

Thread Information