Thread: Fruit fly culture container supplier

pissedbudgie

Default Fruit fly culture container supplier

It may sound strange, but I like what I like, and I like this type of container for culturing fruit flies.
    Name:  IMG_1919.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  90.4 KB
    It's the type of container that most online and offline shops use here.
    It's the usual perforated square tub with a round tub that has a 1" or thereabouts hole in the lid which fits inside the square tub, I'm sure you all have seen them.

I like this type of setup for culturing my fruit flies as it suits my harvesting method perfectly.
    I recycle them on the occasions when I buy new cultures due to a crash or such like or when they wear out due to being used several times.

The thing is, I would like to buy a load of them because I rarely get crashes any more and the only time I throw them out is when they wear out. But I cannot find anywhere I can buy them at all. I can find the perforated square tubs in small quantities, but not the round tubs to fit inside them and definately not with the hole nicely pre-cut.
    Now seeing as so many places use exactly the same set. there must be somewhere I can buy them in say 50 or 100 sets at a time, but I cannot find it.

So do you know where I can get these ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fish4all

Default Re: Fruit fly culture container supplier

Could you explain that setup a little more? I am very intrigued on how it works. I have been looking for a way to culture the fruit flies and not have to tap them out from the brooding container. If I am guessing correct, you set the small container inside with the media and pupating material and the flies can come and go as they please. Someday I will be able to make my design for a continual breeding setup but I don't have the resources right now to make it.

As for containers, I have never seen just the lids for sale, only in sets. Drilling them wouldn't be that hard to do if you wanted to cut your own. A descent hole cutter should cut a lot of them at once. You may also be able to find a circle punch that will work also and make quick work of the lids to get the hole you want.

I would love to see your setup in full production if you have pics, please.

pissedbudgie

Sure I can explain although it's better done with pictures than my poor attempts at writing an explanation.

So here goes.

1st I half fill the round tub with culture medium (please note I did overfill this one as I was trying to do it quickly for these photos)

Name:  IMG_1924.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  50.6 KB

Then the lid with the hole goes on

Name:  IMG_1925.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  44.1 KB

That is then put inside the perforated tub (it is a snug fit)

Name:  IMG_1926.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  59.8 KB

On top of that I put a small ammount of wood wool

Name:  IMG_1927.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  120.6 KB

Then some fruit flies to start the culture off and the lid (you can't see many flies in this pic, but there are about 50 in there)

Name:  IMG_1930.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  124.9 KB

Now when it's time to harvest them I use a kind of bucket (it contained candy floss when I got it) which have the sides dusted with calcium +d3 (Not enough to dust the flies but it stops them from being able to climb out)

Name:  IMG_1931.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  90.2 KB

The flies climb out of the culture container and fall into the bottom of the bucket as they cannot climb the sides (This is the fresh culture I just made, but you get the idea)
    I usually put the lid on the bucket so as I can be doing other things while the fruit flies are being collected. A little tap on the side every now and again makes sure they keep active and falling into the bottom of the bucket.

I can then dust them as required and am able to easily tip them into a smaller container (film canister) where I can then sprinkle them into each vivarium.

So there you go, this is the method I use and it is very rare that I get any escape while I am working with them.

It works for me and I find it much easier than trying to shake them out of a cup type setup where you often shake out debris of various kinds along with the fruit flies.

fish4all

I like that idea a lot! Thank you for the details.

pissedbudgie

Your welcome.

One thing I didn't point out is that when the square container goes in the bucket it does not sit on the bottom, it sits part way down wedged by each corner. It is actually about 3-4" from the bottom of the square container to the bottom of the "bucket".

Just wanted to add that because if your container sits on the bottom then you tend to squash quite a few flies when you tap or shake the bucket, and that they would also be able to climb back up the square container instead of staying in the bottom of the bucket where you want them.

Thread Information