Thread: Toads in Parker, Colorado

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Toads in Parker, Colorado

We were walking and I small a small Toad jumping in the grass. It was a challenge but I held the creature before letting it go. Anyone know what type of Toads live in Parker, CO? Also is it harmful to hold the creatures? What do they eat? Being so small I fear a snake may eat him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toads in Parker, Colorado

Here is a list of all the amphibians that can be found in Colorado: List of amphibians of Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It *can* be harmful to handle these toads, but it really depends on how clean your hands are. It's usually recommended to wash your hands thoroughly before handling amphibians. However, when these toads are in the wild they are exposed to many different elements...so unless you were handling something toxic it probably didn't impact the toad too much.

Toads can eat many different things. At a young age, I'm guessing he probably ate small insects. He could become snake food, but that is true of all toads and frogs. I just try to not think about it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayshocking View Post
    Here is a list of all the amphibians that can be found in Colorado: List of amphibians of Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It *can* be harmful to handle these toads, but it really depends on how clean your hands are. It's usually recommended to wash your hands thoroughly before handling amphibians. However, when these toads are in the wild they are exposed to many different elements...so unless you were handling something toxic it probably didn't impact the toad too much.

Toads can eat many different things. At a young age, I'm guessing he probably ate small insects. He could become snake food, but that is true of all toads and frogs. I just try to not think about it.
    I washed my hands after I handled the Toad as I believe what I saw was a young Western Toad. I was not handling anything harmful so I hope the Toad was okay. He did hop after I put him down so I guess that would be a yes, but I wonder if he later died which I hope not. Bye the way is that a Toad in your pic?

John

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh I am sure he was fine. He probably hopped off and found himself a meal!

My picture is of a New Mexico Spadefoot (Spea multiplicata). According to the list, you might have some in your state! Lucky lucky

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh I am sure he was fine. He probably hopped off and found himself a meal!

My picture is of a New Mexico Spadefoot (Spea multiplicata). According to the list, you might have some in your state! Lucky lucky
    It may be their season as I saw another Baby Toad hopping last night as well and this time near a house. Thats a bad spot but he was in the grass. I wonder where the parents were? Do they just abandon their young?

Bye the way are you ever on Yahoo or AIM? I see you have the icons. FB is a privacy invasion and is turning to be an easy way for people to stalk, so I keep it to Yahoo or AIM for chatting with strangers. No not as common these days, but 100 times safer.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    It may be their season as I saw another Baby Toad hopping last night as well and this time near a house. Thats a bad spot but he was in the grass. I wonder where the parents were? Do they just abandon their young?

Bye the way are you ever on Yahoo or AIM? I see you have the icons. FB is a privacy invasion and is turning to be an easy way for people to stalk, so I keep it to Yahoo or AIM for chatting with strangers. No not as common these days, but 100 times safer.
    They do abandon them as soon as the eggs are laid. In fact, if they by chance came across their parents they'd probably eat them as small toadlets. Frogs are weird like that.

It's so weird that you mentioned AIM/Yahoo because I was talking to my friend about it yesterday. I haven't used it in a while, but I can keep the programs open on my computer if you'd like to chat there. Let's bring back old school social networking!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They do abandon them as soon as the eggs are laid. In fact, if they by chance came across their parents they'd probably eat them as small toadlets. Frogs are weird like that.

It's so weird that you mentioned AIM/Yahoo because I was talking to my friend about it yesterday. I haven't used it in a while, but I can keep the programs open on my computer if you'd like to chat there. Let's bring back old school social networking!
    Well I am on those services everyday. Not many use them anymore as most do not give a rat about their privacy. I also use FB as well, however not with strangers. You do not have a Mac, but on the Mac IM capability is built into the OS so its so nice. On a PC you can still do it, however it more of a hassle.

Thread Information