Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Water bowls for mature pixie frogs are optional!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Water bowls for mature pixie frogs are optional!

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Matt here's an idea. Put a water bowl in the frogs enclosure for a week or two and see if he ever goes in it. If he does then you keep it in because your frog clearly likes it. It would only take up five minutes a day to clean and replace water or is that to much of a hardship for you to bare?
    Jack i already did that. He acts NO different since i removed that nasty thing. So it is common sense that it made no difference but aid to bacteria growth. Just get rid of those bacteria bath houses of disease, aka water dishes, your frog will love you for it!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    Jack i already did that. He acts NO different since i removed that nasty thing. So it is common sense that it made no difference but aid to bacteria growth. Just get rid of those bacteria bath houses of disease, aka water dishes, your frog will love you for it!!
    Do you mist the soil/substrate? I guarantee you that there is potential for more bacteria growth in and around the substrate than there is in the water. Might as well remove that nasty old substrate! Your frog will probably turn every color of the rainbow then

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    Do you mist the soil/substrate? I guarantee you that there is potential for more bacteria growth in and around the substrate than there is in the water. Might as well remove that nasty old substrate! Your frog will probably turn every color of the rainbow then
    I only have to replace the substate about once a month! It is sooooo easy now! MY WAYS DO WORK!!!

Cap10Squirty

I change my frog's substrate about once a month as well...that should be good enough depending on how well it's kept in between changings.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    I change my frog's substrate about once a month as well...that should be good enough depending on how well it's kept in between changings.
    thats cool! but thats all i do. no changing water bowls, no messing with filters, no nothing else! i feed him in a different tank every 3-5 days and change his enclosures substrate once a month, thats it!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

All i do is replicate their natural enviroment. If you look up the type of area these guys live in during the time they are above ground you will find that they rarely ever swim in water or even like to sit in more than an inch of water. they like super moist soil in a nice shady spot under a bush. THAT IS A FACT! they poop in water but they wont poop or pee where they sit in their little area. you should read all these post that belittled my idea and time has now shown that i am right. a beautiful 8+ inch aggressive frog to prove it. (: If you are sick of dealing with water bowls then read this whole thread and see if my way frees up some of your maintenance time and gives you a more beautiful and healthy frog in return. do less work and get a better frog, thats the American way! (:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

All i do is replicate their natural enviroment. If you look up the type of area these guys live in during the time they are above ground you will find that they rarely ever swim in water or even like to sit in more than an inch of water. they like super moist soil in a nice shady spot under a bush. THAT IS A FACT! they poop in water but they wont poop or pee where they sit in their little area. you should read all these post that belittled my idea and time has now shown that i am right. a beautiful 8+ inch aggressive frog to prove it. (: If you are sick of dealing with water bowls then read this whole thread and see if my way frees up some of your maintenance time and gives you a more beautiful and healthy frog in return. do less work and get a better frog, thats the American way! (:
    i have to add that the only time they need to spend in the water in the wild is breeding, brooding of young, and pooping and peeing. other than that they rarely ever go in the open or deeper water. the videos you see about these frogs in the wild is taken during breeding time. people who live in the area these frogs are from say that they rarely ever find these frogs in the water. they find them all the time in muddy shaded areas.

Kelsieb

i have to add that the only time they need to spend in the water in the wild is breeding, brooding of young, and pooping and peeing. other than that they rarely ever go in the open or deeper water. the videos you see about these frogs in the wild is taken during breeding time. people who live in the area these frogs are from say that they rarely ever find these frogs in the water. they find them all the time in muddy shaded areas.
    You are forgetting that your frog is not in the wild and in captivity has no choice which is why you, as the captor, is supposed to provide them with everything they need even if you think it is unnecessary. In the wild they have a choice of going in the water, aka in captivity a water bowl.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsieb View Post
    You are forgetting that your frog is not in the wild and in captivity has no choice which is why you, as the captor, is supposed to provide them with everything they need even if you think it is unnecessary. In the wild they have a choice of going in the water, aka in captivity a water bowl.
    a true collector provides what is BEST for their pets. I believe a water bowl is more of a threat to health problems than not having one. If you took time to read my post you would see that after each meal he soaks in fresh water for an hour or so. He is the best looking frog i have ever seen and i have seen A TON of adult male Pixies. If you love your water feature that is your descition, but for new people who have 3 kids and want a Awesome full sized adult Pixie but are short on free time. this thread IS going to help them get the frog they want and have it looking awesome without all the maintenance. Its really that simple. (:

Kelsieb

a true collector provides what is BEST for their pets. I believe a water bowl is more of a threat to health problems than not having one. If you took time to read my post you would see that after each meal he soaks in fresh water for an hour or so. He is the best looking frog i have ever seen and i have seen A TON of adult male Pixies. If you love your water feature that is your descition, but for new people who have 3 kids and want a Awesome full sized adult Pixie but are short on free time. this thread IS going to help them get the frog they want and have it looking awesome without all the maintenance. Its really that simple. (:

Ditching the water bowl to save time is unfair to your frog. As is forcing him to live without a constant water supply and instead forcing him to live like a pig in slop. You truly believe all that mud and sloppy mess will not grow bacteria? I suggest you look up how bacteria grows, it lives for that mess you call an alternative to water dishes.

Also, I'm not a collector I am a pet owner. I own living animals not baseball cards. I despise the terms 'collector' and 'collection'.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ditching the water bowl to save time is unfair to your frog. As is forcing him to live without a constant water supply and instead forcing him to live like a pig in slop. You truly believe all that mud and sloppy mess will not grow bacteria? I suggest you look up how bacteria grows, it lives for that mess you call an alternative to water dishes.

Also, I'm not a collector I am a pet owner. I own living animals not baseball cards. I despise the terms 'collector' and 'collection'.
    Bacteria is everywhere. Bad bacteria grows where an abundance of food is present, doo-doo, pee-pee, stagnant water, dirty filter pads,,,,. My frog NEVER goes to the bathroom in his cage thus the "mud" doesnt have much food for harmful bacteria. Even when i stir-up the "mud" in his home tank, when he is chillin in his feeding tank, it doesnt smell. It is your "opinion" that i am depriving anything from my frog because the fact is my frog is Healthy and Beautiful. If a frog needed to drink water orally then not providing a water source would be not only depriving but cruel! But they dont drink water they absorb it so providing extra moist "mud" is exactly what they need. So to say that a water feature is a "need" is false.

Skelly98

Posted this in the other thread earlier... re posted here, because It was more relevant.

However, can you really be sure about the fact that your results are sound? What about what is going on inside the frog? Do you know for sure that your frog is not getting any internal issues, such as kidney damage, from the reduced availability of water?

Interesting idea, however. I have kept animals, such as bearded dragons and uromastyx without water for some time, but these are desert animals (Not phibs), and i had other ways of hydrating them (ex, putting water in/on their food, misting and letting them lick the drops).

So, you never put your frog in water? Not even for a soak or something while cleaning? Forgive me if i missed it..

And, do you ever get your frog checked by a vet for internal issues? You certainly have a interesting idea and a healthy looking frog, but looks can be deceiving... I'd be interested in seeing some test results, after a few months to a few years, and seeing how hydration and organ health stacks up against a normally kept frog.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly98 View Post
    Posted this in the other thread earlier... re posted here, because It was more relevant.

However, can you really be sure about the fact that your results are sound? What about what is going on inside the frog? Do you know for sure that your frog is not getting any internal issues, such as kidney damage, from the reduced availability of water?

Interesting idea, however. I have kept animals, such as bearded dragons and uromastyx without water for some time, but these are desert animals (Not phibs), and i had other ways of hydrating them (ex, putting water in/on their food, misting and letting them lick the drops).

So, you never put your frog in water? Not even for a soak or something while cleaning? Forgive me if i missed it..

And, do you ever get your frog checked by a vet for internal issues? You certainly have a interesting idea and a healthy looking frog, but looks can be deceiving... I'd be interested in seeing some test results, after a few months to a few years, and seeing how hydration and organ health stacks up against a normally kept frog.
    thank you for your interest! (: Yes he does soak in fresh water after every feeding. Frogs need to have a constant way to absorb water, they dont need to "drink" it they need to constantly absorb it. so if you have an enclosure with dry substrate then you will need to provide a water source they can sit in for awhile. But if you provide constant moist substrate then there is no need for another water source. So there is absolutely no need to find out if Mr. Pickles is dehidrated because he is not.

Kelsieb

Bacteria is everywhere. Bad bacteria grows where an abundance of food is present, doo-doo, pee-pee, stagnant water, dirty filter pads,,,,. My frog NEVER goes to the bathroom in his cage thus the "mud" doesnt have much food for harmful bacteria. Even when i stir-up the "mud" in his home tank, when he is chillin in his feeding tank, it doesnt smell. It is your "opinion" that i am depriving anything from my frog because the fact is my frog is Healthy and Beautiful. If a frog needed to drink water orally then not providing a water source would be not only depriving but cruel! But they dont drink water they absorb it so providing extra moist "mud" is exactly what they need. So to say that a water feature is a "need" is false.
    I believe it is a need because he is a FROG and generally frogs enjoy a good source of water, not slop! Constant high moisture can produce fungus, fungal infections, bacterial infections, etc. Perhaps it woudn't be as much of an issue if you cleaned his cage regularly but in your other thread you admitted that you only clean his cage out every three months. That is enough time for bacteria and fungus to form, especially if he urinates as much as my frogs. There's no way you can catch him EVERY time he pees and since you have him in slop there's a chance that until you decide to clean out his slop bucket of a cage he's sitting in his own bacteria filled urine and mud hole. You claim there is no smell, but how do we know you are being truthful? Obviously since you are trying to convert people to your ways you will only say good things about this experiment with your frogs life.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Same warning as in the other thread: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...tml#post218620. Either the flame war stops or threads will be closed !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I believe it is a need because he is a FROG and generally frogs enjoy a good source of water, not slop! Constant high moisture can produce fungus, fungal infections, bacterial infections, etc. Perhaps it woudn't be as much of an issue if you cleaned his cage regularly but in your other thread you admitted that you only clean his cage out every three months. That is enough time for bacteria and fungus to form, especially if he urinates as much as my frogs. There's no way you can catch him EVERY time he pees and since you have him in slop there's a chance that until you decide to clean out his slop bucket of a cage he's sitting in his own bacteria filled urine and mud hole. You claim there is no smell, but how do we know you are being truthful? Obviously since you are trying to convert people to your ways you will only say good things about this experiment with your frogs life.
    I am not a liar. I have found a way that new comers should try! they can tell you that this way works when they try it. All the best!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information